Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

joe'smom 12-26-2014 09:13 AM

whitepine, I won't have to do anything over if I decide to use the gold. I haven't gotten far with clue #1 and am still working on sewing the #1 pink/blue HST units. In my case, there was an advantage to being behind!

I agree, making four of clue #5 does make more sense, LOL!

thimblebug6000 12-26-2014 09:37 AM

huskyquilter, I LOVE your batiks and think your neutral is a perfect choice. I think if you put a start plain white fabric in there it will stick out like a sore thumb! I hope you try a sample block and share it with us here.... and great job on that block's piecing...

huskyquilter 12-26-2014 10:07 AM

I will do a sample of each and get some opinions. :) Great idea.

sewplease 12-26-2014 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 7021908)
huskyquilter, I LOVE your batiks and think your neutral is a perfect choice. I think if you put a start plain white fabric in there it will stick out like a sore thumb! I hope you try a sample block and share it with us here.... and great job on that block's piecing...

Huskyquilter, I also agree with this. I like the small pattern in your neutral batik. But even more important, gotta say...please tell us about the beautiful dog in your avatar. :-)

huskyquilter 12-26-2014 10:41 AM

Ha ha! That's Dizzy. He's a siberian husky, and my little bud. :) He'll be two this March and I love him to pieces.

fatquarters 12-26-2014 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by huskyquilter (Post 7021702)
Well, it's probably rather basic, but I didn't realize that there was such a difference between pressing and ironing. You want to avoid using steam because it overstretches the fabric and causes all sorts of problems. I also was way over doing it on the ironing. Just a simple, super quick press to set the seam, then flip open the block and a quick press down. No steam needed. Also was turned on to a very helpful product called the steady betty (you can order it from amazon) that has a little friction and anchors the fabric as you press so it doesn't move and stretch. :)

i read read a tip that I haven't used yet....so not sure how good it works. if you don't have a steady Betty, or don't want to buy one...apparently a piece of flannelette on your ironing surface works wonders. I am going to try it whenever I get started on this mystery. been too busy to even sew one block, and it's not looking good till 2015!

SusanSusan33 12-26-2014 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lol at Pam! I'm famous for also ironing the crap out of my squares!!!

Husky- I love your batiks!

I decided that the scrappy is very hard for me. I'm taking more time trying to make sure it looks scrapoy than cutting and piecing.

Here are the week 2 blocks. I used the rose prairie blog method of using strips. I had a beggar of a time trying to cut the first few strips but then got the hang of the 45* angle. Many of my center points are way off but considering this is all new for me I'm pleased. I have better things to do than rip these apart.

I planned on doing 1/2 the blocks but I am FAR from those numbers. Lol. When I go to actually put this all together I'm going to be repeating much of these steps. Oh well. I'd rather try to get to week #3 rather than do more week 2s.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]503770[/ATTACH]

ILoveToQuilt 12-26-2014 04:16 PM

SusanSusan your #2 blocks look great! I've only made one of #1, one of #2, 40 of #3, one each of #4 (both blocks) and none so far of #5. I, too, had a bugger of a time with the 45 degree angle! Hopefully, I will get the hang of it when I make some more of them.

I love your choice of fabrics, too!

If you're not happy with the way your points meet, shuffle your blocks around. Some may fit together better than others. Just a thought...

SusanSusan33 12-26-2014 04:17 PM

I just saw the week 5 instructions and boy oh boy that looks easy peasy after the other weeks. Yayy!!! I can't wait. My goal for tonight it to keep cutting and piecing. My kiddos and I are watching movies. Maybe I can do week 3s blocks. Or at least get some blocks completed.

SusanSusan33 12-26-2014 04:22 PM

Thanks Anita! I had to buy almost all my light colored fabrics and many of the other colors. I had a lot of cream and beige scraps but almost no whites. I didn't thibk bright/ cream would look as nice as white. So I went to connecting threads (hope my order comes in soon) and the lqs this week to get the whites. Retail therapy and a Christmas gift to myself.