Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

joe'smom 01-17-2015 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally, after many edits and a long search for a yellow, I have finished clue #1! My quilt will represent 'an evening at the Grand Hotel', as I ended up with a gold, and the evening photos of the hotel show the awnings looking a darker gold.

That is #1, #2, and #3 now complete. I am going to have some fun with clue #4. I plan to use my darkest, brightest and lightest pink and blue HST units, which didn't work well in the block, plus all the yellows I auditioned and rejected (there are about 30 of them, lol), and some gray neutrals that I was uncertain about mixing with my whites in the other clues. Onward!

Sophie2 01-17-2015 07:02 PM

Today I took my GI to a longarmer who will put it together with the batting and backing and baste it for me. I will then bring her home to quilt on my DM. I am excited to get her back, but it will be mid-April before it is done. In the meantime, I will work on other quilts and wall hanging. Loved the experience of doing my first BH MQ and look forward to many more. Love everyone's pictures.

TammyB 01-17-2015 10:49 PM

Wow, I love your second version, Justflyingin! Very nice with the sashing. You are a very talented quilter!

mimiknoxtaylor 01-18-2015 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7051722)
BOY! I went to my charity quilting group this morning which always starts with "Sew and Tell". When it was my turn I showed my Grand Illusion top and... (stares...). Finally somebody said something: "I would never make something with that many pieces". .WHAT THE HECK? This group oohs and ahhs over anything so it was definitely not the reaction I was expecting. Bummer.

That's amazing. I didn't take mine to quilt bee with me on Thurs. but I did hear a couple ladies talking about the BH mystery GI & I mentioned that I am in the process of putting mine together. They were ohhing & aweing over just the mention of it - come to my group!
Anyway, I'm taking the few blocks I have done with me Monday night to guild so they can see them & get them interested in doing it also.

SunlitenSmiles 01-18-2015 06:20 AM

layered, pined and halfway basted....planning on quilting on DSM today after finishing the basting....wish there was a LA here who would layer and baste.

susiequilt 01-18-2015 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7051722)
BOY! I went to my charity quilting group this morning which always starts with "Sew and Tell". When it was my turn I showed my Grand Illusion top and... (stares...). Finally somebody said something: "I would never make something with that many pieces". .WHAT THE HECK? This group oohs and ahhs over anything so it was definitely not the reaction I was expecting. Bummer.

That was kind of my first reaction on seeing the reveal!
What was she thinking? Why did I start this?
Fortunately it's growing on me and if I could get my sewing machine to cooperate I would be sewing now!
Maybe take it back to give them a second look!

sewbizgirl 01-18-2015 09:07 AM

Joesmom, your blocks look great. Can't wait to see the quilt in your evening color way.

sewbizgirl 01-18-2015 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt (Post 7052867)
That was kind of my first reaction on seeing the reveal!
What was she thinking? Why did I start this?
Fortunately it's growing on me and if I could get my sewing machine to cooperate I would be sewing now!
Maybe take it back to give them a second look!

I will show the whole quilt again when it's completely finished. At the first showing I did stand back and give them the long view, explained the "movement" in the pinwheels they should be looking for, and they still didn't seem to like it. Oh well...

Cindy60545 01-18-2015 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
TaDa! Hot off the sewing machine! (Not the longarm, yet!) I just finished mine.

Windblown 01-18-2015 02:04 PM

Cindy60545 Love your finished quilt.