Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

nancysp 01-04-2015 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my quilt. I fully intended to make the entire quilt. Kept up with all the clues. When I tried the green checkered sashing, it just didn't look good to me. Since I was just about of fabric, I decided to make my quilt without the sashing. I got the neat yellow centered stars. I know I've lost a lot of the BH movement, but I'm pretty happy with it. I had to fudge the border, but still was able to use it.

Funny, the green/ white pieces were my favorites-but I'm sure they'll be put to good use in another quilt. This was my first MQ and enjoyed every minute of it. I will definitely do it again next year. I learned so much and LOVED the mystery part of it (waiting, anticipating, guessing and sewing like mad!).

JeanieG 01-04-2015 02:46 PM

Oh my you gals are really going to town on finishing this quilt. Nanny's dollface and nancysp, your quilts turned out just beautiful. I love both of them!

I am going with the black turned toward the center on mine, and using my left over black triangles to make the cornerstones. I have played with them all morning, and have finally come up with something I think will work. More work, for sure, but did not have enough of my black fabrics to cut the 3 1/2" cornerstones. I tried a solid black, but did not like that as well as the multicolored black triangles sewn together.

baronreads 01-04-2015 02:54 PM

Someone on FB posted a 3x4 top and her yellow sashing is 2 and 2.5 inches. I'm nowhere close to being finished so am just gathering info right now. Thanks for your math!

RockiPocki 01-04-2015 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504752[/ATTACH]My flimsy is finished. Used yardage rather than scrappy. Unable to get a good picture because it is large.

SusanSusan33 01-04-2015 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by colorfulom (Post 7033032)
If you plan to use the borders Bonnie designed, each side of your quilt needs to end up a multiple of 8 inches, including the inner border. That's because the repeat of the border design is 8 inches (one each of the two slightly different broken dishes units).

Each of the main quilt blocks finishes at 12 inches, and the green sashing strips finish at 3 inches. So if you have 3 blocks wide, that's 3x12=36 for the blocks, plus 4x3=12 for the sashing, so 48 inches before adding an inner border. The next multiple of 8 is 56 inches. So you'd need 8 inches of additional width in this case, so 4 inches of inner border on each side.

If you have 4 blocks wide, that's 4x12=48 for the blocks, plus 5x3=15 for the sashing, for a total of 63 inches. You could either add one more inch to get 64 inches, meaning a 1/2 inch finished border, or you'd need to add 9 inches, by using a 4 1/2 inch finished border.

If I were making a 3x4 block quilt, I think I'd add a 4 inch finished border down the long sides, and 4 1/2 inch on the short sides. Then the outer border should work out all around, and the slight difference in inner border width won't be very noticeable at all.

Omgosh colorfulom- you're the best. I've never designed anything and the quilters math confuses the Eco out if me. Thank you so much for making it soooo clear!

i love seeing everyone's quot tops. It was a VERY busy weekend here at home. No quilting at all.

VickiM 01-04-2015 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 (Post 7033012)
i was trying to figure out the layout for my daughters full sized bed and was thinking 3x4 or 4x5. Do you have the measurement of the 3x5 layout without the borders? Floating the inner border confuses me too. I have a Craftsy class on borders and there is a formula but I think until I actually do it (like on a sample) I won't quite get it.

No sewing for me yet this weekend. I donated blood and put away all our Christmas things. Very very busy.

I think the less scrappy the better when I'm looking at completed blocks/ quilt tops. I think some of mine are too scrappy. Some of my week 3 blocks are going to go on the back of the quilt for an accent. There was just not enough contrast.

The 3 blocks with her sashing measured out to be 49"...does that help?

SueSew 01-05-2015 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 7032396)
When I referred to a secondary pattern (may be using the incorrect term), I was referring to that black on-point grid that is formed all over the quilt. The blocks themselves are not on point, but this grid gives the illusion that the quilt is done on point.

As white pine circled above, there is the primary block we construct, and the illusion of a second block created by the sashing and cornerstones.

char, that is really unique and interesting! I just love the colors you chose; beautiful fabrics!

Ok now I see it. I missed the diagram when I read it on my phone. It does have a secondary pattern formed by the sashing with the aqua bit in the middle. But I still can't tolerate it.

On the other had, went to the MFA in Boston to the big quilt exhibit and I have to say a couple of the old Amish tessellating color block patterns were pretty wild and crazy! :) :) This BH quilt may be on a museum wall someday - it is certainly radical enough to be snatched up by a collector.

Emma S 01-05-2015 06:21 AM

Rocki: Your choices are gorgeous. The color substitution you used for the green really changes the quilt. By far, the one I would make if I had it do over again.

cindyb 01-05-2015 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7033633)
Love the 3D look of the secondary square

This one is by far my favorite. Wish I had seen this before. Hmmm wonder if I can pick those yellow corner ones out?

whitepine 01-05-2015 07:36 AM

The thought of changing the color of a square at this point boggles my mind. :)

Windblown, thanks for the FB pictures. I really like the border on that second one. It seems to tie it to the quilt better.

I am doing a 1/4 size and I think the border as it is made is too big for the quilt. Is anyone else doing that size having the same thought? I was thinking of cutting the border squares in half to make a thinner border.