Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/grand-illusion-bonnie-hunters-mystery-quilt-2014-a-t255071.html)

Pam H 12-07-2014 12:12 PM

Here's another post from Bonnie....

Dear Quilters,I had to delete a photo tutorial for an alternate strip piecing method of doing the Part 2 unit written by Anna Brown because in her method there was NO SEAM ALLOWANCE on the edges of the unit. When these units are sewn together all points will be lost. This is not what we want, and a short cut you should not be taking.Please note that I have done everything I can to present you correct directions that will give you success in the finished quilt.Sometimes there are NO short cuts worth taking.
Sew On!

AngelinaMaria 12-07-2014 12:51 PM

I'm not sure who Anna Brown is. There were strip piecing directions on a blog (no reference at all to Anna Brown) posted yesterday that are still up and her photos seem to indicate an adequate seam allowance on the edges so I'm going to assume that her method is successful. I haven't tried it out yet. Has anyone else successfully used this strip method?

sewbizgirl 12-07-2014 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles (Post 6998533)
my 'broken dishes' are in a super saver with the ...... what is the name of the clue 2 block

slip and slide, ski slope, 50's two-step (because pink & black), grit your teeth multiple choice....... it needs a name !

I think Bonnie called it Double Diamond block.

susiequilt 12-07-2014 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria (Post 6998634)
I'm not sure who Anna Brown is. There were strip piecing directions on a blog (no reference at all to Anna Brown) posted yesterday that are still up and her photos seem to indicate an adequate seam allowance on the edges so I'm going to assume that her method is successful. I haven't tried it out yet. Has anyone else successfully used this strip method?

I am using it and so far the one test unit came out exactly 4 1/2" x 4 1/2". So far the only thing I have found different is she pictured 24 from two sets and I am only getting 22 from two sets. She may be using her length of fabric or something else. I am using my width of fabric and getting 11 single chevrons from each. I am finding it really easy once I got over my fear of cutting wrong!

nancysp 12-07-2014 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria (Post 6998634)

I think this was posted on Quiltville Open Studio Facebook page. I knew it was not right the minute I read it. This was different than the other blog that had a new way- that one appears to be fine. I think this Facebook page is Bonnie's so she can remove whatever she want. By the way, it's a lot of fun to look at if you're doing the MQ and also have Facebook. Loads of pictures and comments.

SusanSusan33 12-07-2014 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sophie2 (Post 6998417)
SusanSusan33, I don't think we are behind - Clue #3 doesn't come out until Friday. I think we have plenty of time to "play" around. I did a little piecing this morning and they are going together very nicely. Bonnie's instructions were very clear. Back to the studio!

Thanks Sophie! My daughter is a Sophia so when I see your post it makes me smile. I hope to sit at the machine a bit this week. Maybe Monday or Tuesday after work. In between decorating the tree. Lol

I have a Christmas gift quilt for my sister that I need to fmq. It's all sandwiches and ready to go. But i just want to play with these mq clues. My mom came over and asked when the mq news to be finished by. She was hinting that I needed to quilt my sisters quilt. Lol. Times like this I wish I had one machine to piece and another to quilt. Different threads different feet different bobbin cases. Such a pain to switch over.

Originally Posted by SueSew (Post 6998547)
I would call it Dizzy! since if you put them together it kind of spins. Plus I went pingponging back to Joanns and grabbed printier-fabrics because mine were so dull compared to everyone elses...and then I spent the weekend figuring out how to PP ( I'd be done by now if I just stopped whining and cut them all out!)...and then doing the PP paper template backwards, then sewing the fabric on inside out...I must have been in a 'teen daze' (haha I don't want to have have senior moments!)

I finally redid the PP template so I could be brain-dead and get it right! Possibly even if sewing after 8PM, my twilight zone. Check this
[ATTACH=CONFIG]501534[/ATTACH]
Hey whatever works, right? Now I just have to cut the pieces and get to work.

Happy quilting All!

I love the paper piecing you've drawn out. Looks easy. I've watched a freebie pp on Craftsy but never actually tried one.

peaceandjoy 12-07-2014 01:29 PM

Love seeing all of the pictures! Such pretty fabrics and everyone is doing so well.

We were away when the first clue came out, and didn't return home until last Sunday evening. I work full-time, and was away most of the day yesterday. My first clue is all cut out and, being the rebel that I am, I will probably do the "alternative" strip piecing method for the second clue. If I had time, I'd do the 3rd method that Bonnie offered, as I love getting those bonus triangles, but time is too valuable right now. I will have several days over Christmas that should allow me to get caught up, if I'm not by then.

While I understand that this is Bonnie Hunter's design, and I'm a huge fan of hers, I really don't understand what all of the hoopla is about using a method, other than hers, as long as your units are correct. It's a lot like Common Core in education - trying to force everyone to do things the exact same way when we are all different.

Off my soap box and moving on to the sewing machine. The old one, not the 530 that I covet...

SusanSusan33 12-07-2014 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by jolo (Post 6998258)
Susan love your blocks.

Thanks jolo. I'm really having fun doing them.

SusanSusan33 12-07-2014 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 6998378)
My progress so far. I have about half the broken dishes complete and two test units of step #2. Still working on cutting step #2 and a few more for step #1.

Beautiful blocks. I love your variety!

nancysp 12-07-2014 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy (Post 6998693)
Love seeing all of the pictures! Such pretty fabrics and everyone is doing so well.

We were away when the first clue came out, and didn't return home until last Sunday evening. I work full-time, and was away most of the day yesterday. My first clue is all cut out and, being the rebel that I am, I will probably do the "alternative" strip piecing method for the second clue. If I had time, I'd do the 3rd method that Bonnie offered, as I love getting those bonus triangles, but time is too valuable right now. I will have several days over Christmas that should allow me to get caught up, if I'm not by then.

While I understand that this is Bonnie Hunter's design, and I'm a huge fan of hers, I really don't understand what all of the hoopla is about using a method, other than hers, as long as your units are correct. It's a lot like Common Core in education - trying to force everyone to do things the exact same way when we are all different.

Off my soap box and moving on to the sewing machine. The old one, not the 530 that I covet...

The removed version was not correct and would have resulted in someone making all of Clue 2 incorrectly. That certainly would have caused a bit of hoopla (and swearing) in my sewing room!