Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Harriet's Journey BOM (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/harriets-journey-bom-t314256.html)

BethA 05-14-2021 02:20 PM

DottieD thanks for the link for the YouTube video. I watched it and will try it for the next "Y" pattern.

Beth

BethA 05-14-2021 02:21 PM

Joe's Mom, when my blocks come out a smidge smaller I just add a border around it to make it the right size.

Beth

Teen 05-14-2021 04:00 PM

Great job, Joe’smom....It looks wonderful!

joe'smom 05-14-2021 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
BethA, thank you for that helpful hint!

I'm embarrassed to show my G-8 Poinsettia block -- it's so uneven! (And I probably should have fussy-cut the corner pieces for consistency; this may be a re-do down the line). I did not find the 'Y' seam to be too dreadful, thanks to that tutorial. Next on the 'never done' list is paper piecing!

This block shows an issue I'm concerned about -- my darks are super dark and I'm afraid they will give the blocks an unbalanced look. The greens in this fabric line are unusually muted, and I was unable to find any outside greens that harmonized with them.

Mkotch 05-15-2021 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 8483984)
I'm embarrassed to show my G-8 Poinsettia block -- it's so uneven! (And I probably should have fussy-cut the corner pieces for consistency; this may be a re-do down the line). I did not find the 'Y' seam to be too dreadful, thanks to that tutorial. Next on the 'never done' list is paper piecing!

Joe's Mom, your G-8 block looks just fine and I wouldn't worry about the colors right now. I think this block will blend in with the others as you go along. Good job on those Y seams!

This month, we seem to have a lot of paper pieced blocks, and I am out of papers for paper piecing. I like Carol Doak's papers that I can run through my printer. Does anyone in the US have any others to recommend?

QuiltingVagabond 05-15-2021 03:56 AM

Mkotch, I bought a ream of newsprint from Amazon. Standard paper size - works great! I love paper piecing, it's very zen for me.

toverly 05-15-2021 06:12 AM

Joe'smom, these tiny blocks have a tendency to do that. I've started looking at the blocks and determining beforehand which side of the blocks go out. If I can leave that side untrimmed, I do. So at the end I go back and cut down to the finished size. It can't always be done, but it sure helps me.

QuiltingVagabond 05-16-2021 05:17 AM

I made the Christmas Eve block Friday night and plan to work on some of the May blocks today. Yesterday my daughter and I went shopping to celebrate her birthday and get some girl time together. So I am starting the day slowly, shopping was hard on me!

QuiltingVagabond 05-18-2021 08:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are my blocks for May.

DottyD 05-18-2021 09:25 AM

Beautiful blocks Kathy - they look great !