Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/jen-kingwell-blocks-finished-quilts-t297401.html)

Anael 01-12-2019 10:20 AM

That's what I thought too. I can do that :D :D Oh wait, curved piecing.....I might applique the whole thing including the center.
I almost purchased the pattern but I remembered I need to finish Bakers Dozen first and I still have Happy Birds and Midnight at the Oasis.........and I started the second Gypsy.....no Spindrift for me any time soon....life's too short!!

sewingitalltogether 01-12-2019 01:37 PM

Did you hand sew any of the blocks? I'm looking at the double drunkards path. That middle piece is going to stretch out of shape if I pull on it much. With machine piecing those curved pieces, I pull them sort of straight to sew them. Also, the clam shell block? And the small hexagon block?
Green Tea and Sweet Beans
Did you use a background fabric for the clam shells?

Teen 01-12-2019 01:48 PM

No, I did not hand sew any of my blocks. The double drunkards path is challenging but I did machine piece those. It was easiest when I pinned the curve. I did not attempt to lay them flat but let the fabric natural curl as I sewed. I sewed the inner band to the large piece first..Then sewed it to the smaller piece. You could, however, use glue to fit the pieces together then machine sew. You could also hand baste the pieces and then machine sew. Or, you could replace the block with something else. I took a class thru Craftsy on curved piecing. Great class.

Some of Kingwell patterns are designed for hand sewing. There are 3 flower blocks in Section 3, for instance. Those were clearly designed for hand sewing. The whole thing is pieced. Ugh! I altered the block by appliquing the flower and stems on one solid background. Some of the pieced blocks in pattern I ended up appliquing.

I used one background block and applique'd the clamshells. For the hexi's, I just machine sewed them together on a very thin piece of fabric because I did trapunto and didn't want any of the batting to come thru. I did not do the standard EPP with the Hexi's.

It's your quilt so go for what appeals to you to do.

sewingitalltogether 01-12-2019 02:13 PM

I was planning to stuff the flowers. But, tell me more about how you stuffed the clam shells......

Teen 01-12-2019 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did the trapunto technique with all of the applique in my quilt. I machine sew my turned edge applique, so I don't do needle turn. Before machine sewing applique in place on background, I add a layer of polyester loft behind the background fabric, then machine sew my applique pieces, then cut the loft away from around my applique pieces. Here is a picture of the back of the orange peel blocks.. I did the same with the clamshell block but I don't have a picture of the back. If you google trapunto technique you can see how it's done.. Also, you may want to read this thread....There are several of us who have shared different techniques and solutions to tackling some of the challenges of Kingwell blocks. Anael & I both shared how we did some of the blocks specific to GTSB pattern.

Blue Bell 01-12-2019 08:13 PM

Teen, Thanks for sharing your trapunto method.
Did you get my PM?

Teen 01-12-2019 08:15 PM

Yes, I did....PM'ing you now, sweetie..

Anael 01-12-2019 11:32 PM

Thanks Teen for explaining!!

One thing I did was replacing the double drunkards! I tried curved piecing them but failed. I didn't know Craftsy has a class on curved piecing. Might have to check out if they still do. I watched several youtube videos. Curved piecing was a problem with some of the Sylvia blocks too :( I really need to take time and learn it.

Anael 01-13-2019 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's Bakers Dozen as far as I got now. I still don't know where this is going, strangely enough! I think the one block on the right is too pink now but with the last row of the second border it can be balanced out. This one is way harder than I thought!!! The top right block is the corner block of the last row, so that's how large BD will be.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606670[/ATTACH]

sewingitalltogether 01-13-2019 07:55 AM

Thanks Teen. Yes, after 30 years of quilting I do sewn my own way. Not particularly the way the pattern says to do it. I will read the thread from the beginning. I'm starting to see how one can get addicted to these patterns. I wouldn't recommend them to a novice quilter.
I found a good stack of 1/2 square triangles leftover from a large 1/2 square triangle quilt. They are just the right size for the pinwheel block.
I am a hand appliquer. Do a bit of machine applique. I don't know about the border. I will most likely redraw it. Those egg shaped flowers don't do much for the border. I wonder if I can find a pile of preassembled flowers to use.