Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Merry Mayhem 2020 New Years' Day Mystery Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/merry-mayhem-2020-new-years-day-mystery-quilt-t308590.html)

Belfrybat 12-22-2019 03:36 PM

Lovely choices from the two who have posted. I particularly like the sheep. From looking over the instructions it appears A and E will be HST? I prefer to make them by the magic 8 method so don't want to cut strips if that is the case. I know her mystery moves very fast so like some others would like to get one step ahead. I'll be back with pics of fabric choices.

Belfrybat 12-22-2019 04:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I pulled two colourways. I like the navy leaf print but not sure about the lighter green. I'm working from stash. Any suggestions as to which colourway would work better?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]621171[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]621172[/ATTACH]

Tothill 12-22-2019 09:40 PM

Belfry, I love the top combo. I like the contrast of the orange and I love green, so I like the ones you have there.

Watson 12-23-2019 02:45 AM

I like the top one as well. Your accent colour is going to give everything else a real lift.

Watson

vadalia 12-23-2019 03:49 AM

Aw, man! I had the perfect E fabric picked out from my stash. Been waiting forever to use it on a pattern that would specifically focus on it. Had a couple different color sets to go with it that I was feeling good about... only to realize after reading here that the pattern on my E fabric was going to be too big! :( The pattern would have just fit the squares we were supposed to cut out of it but I realized if those got cut down to triangles half that size, the pattern would turn into an incomprehensible mess.

Back to the drawing board for me...

armybandvet 12-23-2019 04:15 AM

I've never heard of this mystery so thanks for sharing it! I've only done Bonnie Hunter mysteries and this looks very different and fun, so I signed up last night. I do scrappy quilts almost exclusively, so this will be a good way to shake things up for me.

So I guess I pick my fabrics, follow the instructions as prep as they are released, then be ready to sew like a maniac on New Year's Day?

toverly 12-23-2019 05:19 AM

Perfect fabrics Watson in the second selection. Bright, sunny, love the focus fabric.

Belfrybat, I would go with choice #2, but then I love the water colors.

I might have to fabric shop my stash also, seems like a great way to use a focus fabric that hasn't landed in a quilt, yet.

armybandvet 12-23-2019 06:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've decided on lap size in these batiks that have been hanging around for a while. My dark green got washed out by the flash, but there is a difference between the 2 greens.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]621220[/ATTACH]

I'm working with stash only and had a pink and orange set picked out too, but I'm not sure it's a good choice. The focus fabric is on a pink background that's nearly the same value as the dark pink I chose for "D." I'm keeping it out and might do a larger size in that set later if it will work out. I'm hoping this pattern will help me use up some large print multicolor fabric!

I took a photo of the pink and orange set to stew on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]621221[/ATTACH]

Belfrybat 12-23-2019 07:19 AM

Army - I really like the batiks. Although the pinks are similar, depending on the pattern, it might work.

Watson 12-23-2019 11:52 AM

Army...I love those batiks so much, I've got three of them! :D I think that will go well.

I've done this twice before and you don't really have to sew like crazy to keep up if you're doing the lap size, at least. It's just comfortable. Last year it was a quilt as you go and I'd never done one before, so that was a challenge and I still got done.

Watson