Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Quilt Challenge! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/quilt-challenge-t2938.html)

Annaquilts 07-02-2010 08:57 AM

OK Maybe not scraps only but because of the economy I, and the gals in my quilt bee, have been very motivated to use only stash fabrics. I do love the challenge but at times it is hard when you have specific requests from people for colors etc.

This might be a good idea for other people too. One thing that also works well for me is to share fabric. At this point it is more a of a what comes around goes around, no money or trading involved, but it seems to be working well. So maybe your scraps don't work on their own but put together with other people's scraps one person will be able to make something out of it. It is satisfying to see the fabric used in a beautiful project.

I also like the spirit of the originally quilters that used what was on hand. In a slightly different light several ladies in our bee buy used clothing at the resale and make quilts out of them. They moslty buy man's shirts and muumuus as they tend to be cotton and have larger pieces of fabric.

Anna

minnow895 07-02-2010 05:10 PM

good idea wendy.
i am doing a scrap quiltn with big and little pices it also has quilt block i have made when i quilt it.it will have stop sines yieal sings and other road sings i am going to name this quilt the story of my life. i am useing this quilt to bring my life back together it has fallen apart through divorce and a bad injury at work.so i started piecing it andi i am useing it as a story of how life falls apart at ime but yet how all the pieces will come back to gather to compleat a person and make them whole again i hope other can make a quilt about the story of there lives

bettyd 07-04-2010 12:19 PM

I really like this, so colorful and a prize to have on your bed.

Bubblegum0077 07-05-2010 06:06 PM

Hello everyone:
Well I am working on the scrappy quilt for this challenge. I figured with all the quilts I've made so far and the leftovers from each, there should be, without a doubt, enough to make another. I am planning to make this quilt into 19 1/2" blocks and use the "quilt as you go method" in hopes of being able to quilt the entire thing myself. I have completed 3 blocks so far and it's already making conversation with the family with "I remember when you made this quilt for me" and "I remember when we picked this fabric out" . It will certainly be interesting to see how easy or hard this process will be. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Any do's or dont's I should know about before I start sandwiching it together? Thanks

ngabrielle 07-06-2010 04:17 AM

Count me in. This will be my first scrap quilt, I've got the pattern and will start it soon, in time to finish it be Christmas. Tks for the challenge, looks like it was I needed to get going on using up my scraps.

thequiltladies 07-06-2010 05:54 AM

I've already started, it's the year of the scrap at my house, the costs are NUTS.

Try a Goodwill trip, I've found the best things, and last week ran into one of our local doctors, we talked and she helped me look for cotton shirting, spent 12.00 and had a ball. I'm calling her my next visit, great time, great deal and I think I made a friend.

Dodee 07-06-2010 03:19 PM

Do you have an end date?
Dodee

thequiltladies 07-06-2010 05:21 PM

I have one more birthday gift for our Grand who turns 5, in August. I'll still have a closet full ? I'm working on a new pattern series and will use scraps for that too ! I like the idea of using it.

rwquilts 07-07-2010 05:50 AM

How interesting! I see this thread started long ago, and hopefully it will continue! I LOVE making scrappy quilts and just happen to be working on 5" crazy patch blocks from my Thimbleberries collection of scraps! This will be a perfect and fun challenge for me!

granny guilter 07-08-2010 05:33 AM

Just to put in an idea I think is o.k., tell me if I shouldn't be doing this, but, when quilting and have thread ends, I tuck them in between top and batt. Does this sound exceptable?

Also, found after quilting a QUEEN quilt, I put the backing on wrong, am about 24 inches short, now need to take off frame and sew on add'l backing, put back on frame and take up from where I left off. UGH!!!!