Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/rest-refreshing-bow-civil-war-sampler-quilt-t287811.html)

Annaquilts 08-22-2017 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana (Post 7892503)
Assuming 2" sashing between the blocks, a 2" stop border, then a 6" large final border, and a 1" binding you will end up with a quilt 119.5" square. Guess what? You were right with the 61 blocks.

Wow and a picture too! I already saved it and also printed it out.Do you have a computer program that helps you with this? Thank you so much. This means I am very close.

Barb in Louisiana 08-22-2017 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 7892507)
Wow and a picture too! I already saved it and also printed it out.Do you have a computer program that helps you with this? Thank you so much. This means I am very close.

I use EQ7. It really does help. Jan is great with understanding how all these quilt numbers work. I rely on EQ to figure it for me. Your quilt will shrink some when washed, so you might want to oversize it a bit. Maybe make the final border 8 inches instead of 6. Or even add an extra border to it.

I look forward to seeing your final quilt. Glad I could help out some.

Jane Quilter 08-22-2017 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last block for me ladies:

Just Jan 08-23-2017 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana (Post 7892503)
Assuming 2" sashing between the blocks, a 2" stop border, then a 6" large final border, and a 1" binding you will end up with a quilt 119.5" square. Guess what? You were right with the 61 blocks.

I thought about EQ later. I don't have that program. Would consider buying it if I were more computer literate and sure I could use it! I just have to figure them by hand so you sure saved me a lot of figuring this morning! How many blocks for a lap quilt 60 x 60 with 2" sashing and maybe a 4" border? Would you recommend me buying EQ or not, since I have nobody here to help me figure it out? Thanks. Janet

Barb in Louisiana 08-23-2017 03:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Just Jan (Post 7892586)
I thought about EQ later. I don't have that program. Would consider buying it if I were more computer literate and sure I could use it! I just have to figure them by hand so you sure saved me a lot of figuring this morning! How many blocks for a lap quilt 60 x 60 with 2" sashing and maybe a 4" border? Would you recommend me buying EQ or not, since I have nobody here to help me figure it out? Thanks. Janet

A 3x3 layout with a 2 inch sash and a single 4 inch border would need 13 blocks. Final size -about 58.9". This does not include the binding.

OOPS! I put two of the same blocks on the quilt, but you get the gist. I thought since this is civil war and the quilters would be using what they had that they might would use different colors for the larger outside borders.

EQ has a steep learning curve for a lot of people. Rhonda's tutorials helped me out a bunch, and then participating in the DoYouEQ ClubEQ competition each month makes me learn the program. I just wasn't getting it using the Manual, which is available online. Plus, I just have fun trying to draw out what the blocks are as in this fun BOW and put them in a quilt myself. I don't always succeed. The manual may scare you so much that you never consider the program. There are other books that go into a different type detail, much easier to me, on how to draw blocks and quilts. Also, I am a very poor colorist. EQ helps me set up the colors in a quilt so that I don't hate the finished product.

lawsonmugs 08-23-2017 09:09 AM

Jan the best math I've seen done is your freezer holding fq's math. lol. I laugh every time I read it.

lawsonmugs 08-23-2017 09:10 AM

I forgot to say Jane your block is so pretty. Done very nicely.

sewbizgirl 08-23-2017 10:18 AM

Beautiful block, Jane Quilter!

I've wondered about EQ too... but hearing it has a steep learning curve, I'll pass! I'm doing just fine with my graph paper, LOL.

Jane Quilter 08-23-2017 12:42 PM

thanks, cant wait to assemble the quilt.

lawsonmugs 08-23-2017 01:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I worked on my block for 2 afternoons and finally finished. Lots pf points too . Some not so good but happy with most of them. This is a pretty block just hard lining up points again. :D OOPs I had to edit this post. I forgot the picture. I never did a edit before hope it works. :thumbup: