Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

Sandra-P 12-15-2017 05:59 AM

SewBiz, you were right! Now I have to see if I have any Accuquilt dies that I can use with this. ~ Sandra

lmanna 12-15-2017 06:05 AM

Clue 4 - Yay finally get to really use my neutrals (her browns). Seems like it would be easier to make 4 patches and cut on the diagonal. Might need to try this theory out.

Cheesehead 12-15-2017 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by lmanna (Post 7963067)
Clue 4 - Yay finally get to really use my neutrals (her browns). Seems like it would be easier to make 4 patches and cut on the diagonal. Might need to try this theory out.

That was my exact thought too!

Jan

Macybaby 12-15-2017 06:24 AM

Love this clue - will be a lot of mindless sewing enjoyment!

I was suppose to be gone this weekend, but due to fires, snow and someone else getting injured(not serious), plans changed and I have DD and her Fiancee and two mid sized dogs in the house for the weekend instead.

Might not get a chance to work on this until after they leave Sunday, as the sewing machine is in the room next to where they are sleeping. I spend my morning out with the LA so that is good. Got one top quilted yesterday while waiting for them to arrive, and then started another one.

NZquilter 12-15-2017 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by lmanna (Post 7963067)
Seems like it would be easier to make 4 patches and cut on the diagonal. Might need to try this theory out.

That seems like a wizard idea. Please share how that works. Personally I'm kinda triangled-out :)

Today's plan for me is to finish both clue 2 and clue 3. I've already managed to get an hour of sewing in before the kiddos woke up, so it's feasible!

Kassaundra 12-15-2017 06:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
You can do 4 patches but you can't do traditional strip pieced 4 patches. It will involve waste though.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585391[/ATTACH]
You will still need the one bigger square like her directions say

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585394[/ATTACH]
The edges need to be lined up on one side, then those lined up sides go together in the center.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585395[/ATTACH]
This will offset your center seams and give you uneven outer edges

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585397[/ATTACH]
Then trim as shown.

I did this w/ construction paper w/ the seam allowance cut off already.

lmanna 12-15-2017 06:57 AM

Nice job, Kassaundra - I hadn't made it that far into thinking about it yet.

Kassaundra 12-15-2017 07:07 AM

It looked like it worked out in paper but it didn't work out in fabric may need to tweek.

joe'smom 12-15-2017 07:11 AM

How will we check the size of our units? Each side should measure 3 7/8?

I think this is the same wing unit used in Orca Bay. Those of you who have done Orca Bay, are there pitfalls for the unit? It looks pretty straight forward to me.

NZquilter 12-15-2017 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra (Post 7963111)

It looked like it worked out in paper but it didn't work out in fabric may need to tweek.

We need a 1/4" seam allowance on the tip of the blue square so we don't cut our points. The more I've been think about it, the more I think it might be wiser for me to just do it the way Bonnie showed.

When Bonnie said that our units need to measure Xx/x", did she mean the 90* angle or the 45* angle?