Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 44 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Yay!! It's this time of year again-- mystery quilt season! Please come and join us!

Bonnie K Hunter's mystery quilt, "On Ringo Lake", can be found on her blog http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2017/...e-mystery.html. So far she only has the introduction colors and yardage posted. Her first clue will go live on her blog on November 24th, the day after Thanksgiving, and then every Friday after that until the reveal.

Bonnie has not stated how many clues there will be, as she loves mysteries, and so do we! Previous years have ended on New Years eve, but she said she might take this year a bit slower and go a little into January 2018.

If you are really busy during the holidays--and who isn't-- Bonnie suggests downloading the printable PDF of each clue and either just slowly work on it at your own pace or save for later. The Mystery Quilt is not a race! Keep in mind that clues are taken off the blog on February 1st, 2018, and will only be available by purchasing a digital download after that date, so remember to save them before then.

This years mystery was inspired when Bonnie was watching a beautiful sunrise on Ringo Lake in Minnesota, USA. A place so close to home!

This thread is the place we will post comments and photos of our fabric choices and sewing progress on another great mystery quilt ride with Bonnie. Ready-- set-- Go!!!

Copyright Reminder: Please do not re-post copies of any clues for the mystery quilt and/or photos of work that is not your own. Thanks!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-02-2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a Gift!

She who sews shall surely rip

Thank you for starting this new thread! I’m so excited to sew along this year. I’m narrowing down my choices of fabric, but wanted to ask For opinions on the bottom blue fabric and the bottom coral (the ones beneath the pain chips). I really like both of them, but they keep jumping out at me and I think they are too loud for the rest of the group. Thoughts? Name:  1D47A4DC-6EB0-4B6E-8CF6-B336979034BE.jpeg
Views: 5892
Size:  1.50 MB

I think you're right about the bottom blue but I love the bottom coral. From the photos, it looks like the stark white in the blue and the coral "tile" look the third one down in the coral range stand out but you never know till you cut them up. I haven't decided about it this year. Love the aqua blues and the corals but the browns? Can't see it. But once I have those paint chips. It all seems to work.

Thank you, NZquilter!
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Great choices, KP. Agree about the bottom blue. Bottom coral looks OK to me.

kp3690, that blue does draw the eye, but I wouldn't count it out; wait until we get the clues and see how it works within the unit. I don't see a problem with the coral.
    Lisa

Kp3690 - The blue fabric does jump out a bit. The darker coral will be fine, I think. Once the fabric is cut down to smaller pieces and incorporated into the quilt, I don't think either one of those will be big "stand-outs", and may even add interest to the overall quilt.

I like both fabrics. I think the bottom blue might add an extra pop here and there. I have never done one of these mysteries, but I've looked at the posts from last year so I would think you will not have a problem with either fabric.

I am hoping to get the color chips tomorrow, I printed the clue yesterday, and today I start pulling fabrics from my little stash. I will see what is what once I have the color cards. This looks to be fun:-) I even have a storage box out ready to hold everything! LOL
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1932 15-88, 1933 99k13, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

Blog Entries
    Name:  20171102_171724_resized.jpg
Views: 5642
Size:  242.8 KBHere are mine. I am short in the aquas and do not have the third DMC floss in Aqua. They were out of 924. My neutrals do not have any funny things in them. Help me out here. What else do I need?

KP I would leave all of them in. The odd man out ones give it punch.

Marcia
    Last edited by Battle Axe; 11-02-2017 at 01:28 PM. Reason: additional info

Thanks NZquilter for starting this mystery thread. I have lots of neutrals, browns, and some aquas. I'll have to either dig deeper into my stash for melon or take a walk to my LQS.
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Size:  242.8 KBHere are mine. I am short in the aquas and do not have the third DMC floss in Aqua. They were out of 924. My neutrals do not have any funny things in them. Help me out here. What else do I need?

KP I would leave all of them in. The odd man out ones give it punch.

Marcia
    May I ask, what is the floss for? Are you using that in place of color cards?
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1932 15-88, 1933 99k13, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

This year I like Bonnie's colors better then any other year, however I am wanting to use my stash, so these are the two options I am thinking about. (Oh I had to add another aqua since that one piece wasn't big enough but I didn't get any new pics taken)

Name:  DSC_0236.JPG
Views: 5590
Size:  234.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0237.JPG
Views: 5644
Size:  258.2 KB
    Think I'm leaning heavily towards the black print instead of the deep blue.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Hi everyone! My first time with the mystery this year! I'm waiting for some fabric to arrive in the mail...so I don't have a picture yet. Few more days! I'm enjoying drooling over all your beautiful fabrics!
    Kristi

Kass, love the black print.

Bought some fabrics today, I think I now have enough brown and neutrals. Still need more coral, a light aqua and dark turquoise. Will take pictures tomorrow of what I have, it's already evening here so pictures won't show true color. I am hoping to just use three shades of each color.

I want to join in but have not finished the last 2 of Bonnie's mystery quilts!!! I plan to print off the clues, and maybe one day I will get to it!!! I will look forward to following everyones' progress here.
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

I'm thinking of joining in. Not too sure if I'll do aqua and coral tho. I'm leaning more to green and blue, whatever I choose I need to go shopping

here are my colors - my LQS is having a sale - 25% off everything in the store (except machines) tomorrow and Saturday. So I'll be looking for a few more aquas. And anything else that catches my eye . . .

My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    Yes, one of the early threads had the DMC code number. I am missing a dark aqua. I do not know who it was or where they got the numbers, but they seem right. So.......

Since I do not have any instructions to cut this wonderful fabric, I have to finish my Allitaire or embroider some pillow cases with these colors to go on the quilt!

Wow if you can hit a sale....hit it.

Macybaby, your colors look spot on.

Marcia
    Last edited by Battle Axe; 11-02-2017 at 04:15 PM. Reason: more info

Kassaundra, that should be very pretty!
    Lisa

Does anyone have an extra blue paint card they'd be willing to send me? DH managed to get the others for me, but they were out of the blue one.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Trying to go totally with stash. The other options I posted (in the En Provence thread) required shopping. I'm thinking about one of these. I was wanted to use gold but that's not happening, again not enough in stash. Not sure about either one of these. The one with tan might work if I use a really light background, all one fabric, possibly the one the stacks are sitting on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by quiltsRfun; 11-02-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Lovely colours, quiltsRfun, but I think your second set is missing the dark punch that the chocolate browns are supposed to give it. I'd go with the first set.

I'm planning to use yardage, as I almost always do. I'm not too fond of scrappy quilts, and the 2 Bonnie Hunters that I've done scrappy are my least favourite quilts. Not sure of colours yet, but the yardage requirements mean I have to go shopping. My stash doesn't run to pieces over about 2.5 yards. I like her picks, but I always like to be a bit different, so who knows where I'll end up. Hoping to hit a sale this weekend with a friend.
    A group of us are going to get together every Friday night to work on the clues, and I can't wait for it to start!

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Size:  242.8 KB

Marcia
    Marcia, I would move that light one in the coral pile over to the neutrals. Pretty fabrics!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm probably going to do a small one this time... but not in aqua and coral. Midwest color schemes are not my cup of tea. I'll keep the warm browns and neutrals, but sub two other colors to go with them.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    Great choices, KP. Agree about the bottom blue. Bottom coral looks OK to me.
    I havent looked at the clues yet, but i agree about the blue. And I think the orange coral is fine.

Page 1 of 44 1 2 11 ... LastLast