Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Can someone explain how the folded corner ruler saves fabric? I hunted up a youtube video for something by that name, but all it did was let you trim off the corner (to define the stitching line) before sewing. You still cut the rectangle and square, the same as if you were going to draw a diagonal line. So where's the fabric savings?

Quote Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
    Can someone explain how the folded corner ruler saves fabric? I hunted up a youtube video for something by that name, but all it did was let you trim off the corner (to define the stitching line) before sewing. You still cut the rectangle and square, the same as if you were going to draw a diagonal line. So where's the fabric savings?
    I was wondering about that too. I bought the essential triangle tool last year but I'm thinking I will opt for traditional methods this year and draw a line. 😀 Might be regretting that in a month or so.
    Emily

Where was saving fabric mentioned in connection with the ruler?
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
    Bluebonnets, I look forward to seeing your civil war prints -- I find them so fascinating, and that's what I lean toward when buying fabric these days.

I've ordered the folded corner ruler, and plan to use the Easy Angle and Companion ruler again this year. I don't know yet if I'll try to keep up, or just make a few units each week to learn the ropes. I was also thinking 2/3 to 3/4 of the units.
    DH, who funds my fun, loves the civil war reproductions so I've been buying into that lately. I love them too but I love it all and enjoy hopping from one color group to another. I will post a picture of my fabrics soon. I'm afraid my rusty reds may be too dark but I like them.

Kassaudra and NZQuilter, I love your En Provence quilts! Mine is pieced but not quilted. Hoping to send it in next month to be quilted.
    Emily

NZQuilter - I just love your finished quilt! So very pretty

Kassaundra - Wow! Isn't that a wonderful selection of color!

I've committed to this year and will be following close to true colors but with 100% batik fabrics.. This should be interesting considering I'm new to quilting. I'm looking forward to learning from the experience as I've read so many others have.

I have some fabrics on hand and have ordered the others - will post a pic when I have them gathered and am wide open to advice! Plan to pick up both rulers and follow the rules

Looking forward to everyone's progress!

Christine
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

Quote Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
    Where was saving fabric mentioned in connection with the ruler?
    Bonnie said she saved a lot of time and fabric using the Simple Folded Corner ruler. She said if you don't have one yet, you are going to want one! --- That was enough to scare me into buying one, Lol! It also acts as a squaring up ruler, which I don't have yet, so I'm looking at it as a two-in-one. But other than what Bonnie said, I don't know how it saves fabric. Maybe some one else knows?
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I was focused on the time-saving comment Bonnie made but missed the reference to saving fabric. I wonder if there's another use for the ruler that relates to saving fabric.
    Lisa

Yea! Here we go again. This is only my third time but I really like the colors this year.
    Sandra

A friend of mine is encouraging me to do the mystery quilt this year. This may be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyhow. Bonnie mentions two rulers, her Essential Triangle Tool and Simple Folded Corners Ruler. Is she suggesting both to make life easier, or to chose just one?

She suggests both rulers for this project.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    A friend of mine is encouraging me to do the mystery quilt this year. This may be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyhow. Bonnie mentions two rulers, her Essential Triangle Tool and Simple Folded Corners Ruler. Is she suggesting both to make life easier, or to chose just one?
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

I also kept reading the bit where Bonnie says she saved time and fabric using the folded corner ruler so have ordered one. I hope I can use it in more than just this quilt as the postage cost the same again as the ruler, if not more!!

Going shopping with a friend today to choose our fabrics

You save fabric by using the essential triangle tool (or EZ angle) to cut the smaller pieces - you cut a strip and then use the tool to cut triangles that will line up with the square with the corner cut off.

I watched a video on the Folder Corner ruler, and was disappointing that they did not show the method that saves fabric .
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by suz1 View Post
    I also kept reading the bit where Bonnie says she saved time and fabric using the folded corner ruler so have ordered one. I hope I can use it in more than just this quilt as the postage cost the same again as the ruler, if not more!!

Going shopping with a friend today to choose our fabrics
    OH my! I'm sorry it cost you so much! I ordered mine from greenfairy quilting and it was about $19 with $4 shipping. Still expensive though, for a piece of plastic. Have fun shopping! I just ordered some vintage brown calicos from etsy Love calicos!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Quote Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
    OH my! I'm sorry it cost you so much! I ordered mine from greenfairy quilting and it was about $19 with $4 shipping. Still expensive though, for a piece of plastic. Have fun shopping! I just ordered some vintage brown calicos from etsy Love calicos!
    It's what you expect when you live down under lol

Maybe it only saves fabric in the theory that you don't have mistakes or wonky lines drawn with a pencil, thus ripping out work. I guess we will k ow the answer in about a month here!

Quote Originally Posted by suz1 View Post
    It's what you expect when you live down under lol
    That makes sense! Yep, I remember how much quilting stuff cost there. We are spoiled here in America.

Thank you NZ Quilter for starting and managing this thread. I decided to jump in again this year, but don't plan to buy the ruler at this time. I watched Bonnie's demo video and didn't see where fabric was saved either. This will be my third mystery and the best part is right here on this thread - seeing everyone's fabric choices and especially the alternative choices, plus all the tips and techniques that are shared by all of your ladies (men). I did a smaller version of En Provence and it measured 68 x 87. I may have added more of the neutral border blocks. Here is a picture of it. And here are my fabric choices - of which I always appreciate your input and suggestions. It seems I have a hard time decided on values, warm/cool etc. The fabrics in the foreground are very questionable to me, but hopefully the ones in back will be ok. All suggestions are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name:  IMG_3225.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  60.5 KB
    Here's a photo of the fabrics I'm thinking about. I like them so I will probably go with them, for better or worse.

Hmmm, now I'm rethinking about the corners ruler...
    Emily

I ordered the Simply Folded Corner ruler
    today from Green Fairy. They have 23 left priced at $21.00 plus 3.95 shipping. Thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by Gagigi; 11-03-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Carol, I like the textures in your foreground fabrics, except for that very dark background print in with the blues, which looks like it could a problem. Your foremost blue seems a bit dull for the rest of your fabrics, but mixed in in tiny amounts it might be fine.

Bluebonnets, those are gorgeous!
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Gagigi View Post
    I ordered one today from Green Fairy. They have 23 left priced at $21.00 plus 3.95 shipping. Thanks for the heads up.
    I just did the same thing
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1932 15-88, 1933 99k25 HC, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnets View Post
    Name:  IMG_3225.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  60.5 KB
    Here's a photo of the fabrics I'm thinking about. I like them so I will probably go with them, for better or worse.

Hmmm, now I'm rethinking about the corners ruler...
    I like your colors. I had thought of going with another colorway, but this is my first BH mystery so I am just following her color scheme. Next one I will do my way once I see what is all involved.
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1932 15-88, 1933 99k25 HC, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

I've used Deb Tuckers Corner Pop ruler which I think is a similar idea to the folded corners ruler. With Deb's ruler you cut the base as a square and then trim off the corner with the ruler. This trimmed corner is then waste. But then what you sew onto that trimmed corner is a triangle. This triangle replaces the square with a line drawn in it. I think that's where the 'saving fabric comes in'. The second triangle is cut as a triangle, so you don't have the trimmings from that.

Hope that makes sense!
    Kristi

Quote Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
    I like your colors. I had thought of going with another colorway, but this is my first BH mystery so I am just following her color scheme. Next one I will do my way once I see what is all involved.
    This is my third BH mystery and the first time to try something different.

Thanks tscweaves and Joe's Mom.
    Emily

This is my third also, but I have always gone my own color way.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Page 3 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 53 103 ... LastLast