Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 112 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

I'm loving all the fabric pulls!

QuiltsRfun, I think the first option will work best. Bonnie said that the browns( or whatever color one decides to use in it's place) can't go too light because it is there for contrast. I'm wondering if it will be the color that "holds" the whole pattern together.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

What is everyone using for the Rulers Bonnie suggested? I have a easy angle/companion ruler combo, so I think that will replace her Essensial Triangle tool, but I was amazed at the price for the other ruler! I went ahead and bought it anyway, as Bonnie said she saved a lot of time and fabric with it, but wowzeer on the price! I didn't realize how much specialty rulers cost. There's my Christmas present for myself
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I will join you all on Bonnie's Mystery. I love these colors. I plan to pull fabric tomorrow and post a picture for some suggestions. Lots of fun!
    Denise

You do not simply stumble upon the happy life.....you make it!

Quote Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
    What is everyone using for the Rulers Bonnie suggested? I have a easy angle/companion ruler combo, so I think that will replace her Essensial Triangle tool, but I was amazed at the price for the other ruler! I went ahead and bought it anyway, as Bonnie said she saved a lot of time and fabric with it, but wowzeer on the price! I didn't realize how much specialty rulers cost. There's my Christmas present for myself
    I went ahead and purchased both of the rulers. I don’t have anything similar, and these challenges seem to be fairly fast paced. I figured that I could use any help I can get in making it easier. Ha.

Yep, I need all the help I can get too, Kp3690! I guess I'll make a few snowball quilts after this it justify the cost to myself, lol! Last year I tried to be thrifty and not buy any of the rulers. It was hard and I regretted it and told myself I won't make that mistake again--- when you're busy making hundreds of pieces, a $20 tool seems like the best money ever spent!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    Trying to go totally with stash. The other options I posted (in the En Provence thread) required shopping. I'm thinking about one of these. I was wanted to use gold but that's not happening, again not enough in stash. Not sure about either one of these. The one with tan might work if I use a really light background, all one fabric, possibly the one the stacks are sitting on.
    I love your first color palette! How could you go wrong with those beautiful fabrics? I was also thinking of going with a more true blue, rather than aqua... and some sort of red instead of the coral.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As to rulers, I already have the easy angle and companion angle, and use them for a lot of cutting.

I'm not sure about the folded corner one though. I've been cutting the squares, then lining them up on the cutting board to cut off the corner where the "covered corner" will go. The easy angle works perfect to cut the pieces that get sewn to the larger block. I don't worry about the dog ears, I trim them off as I go.

I'll check at my LQS (only have one) and see if they've got the corner ruler. The last two times I wanted rulers for a BH mystery - they had them. They didn't plan it that way . . .
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Thanks NZQuilter for starting this thread.

I am leaning towards doing only 1/2 of the units but that may change.

Macybaby: I was thinking of checking my LQS also for the Folded Corners tool. I will need to problem solve how you cut the corners and then use the Easy Angle tool for those covered corners. (I think I wrote that correctly.)

I have the Easy Angle tool and the Companion along with a small group of dies for my die cutting machine so I will probably wait for the clue that needs the Folded Corner tool and see if I can get by without it.

Connie
    Last edited by retiredteacher09; 11-03-2017 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    I'm probably going to do a small one this time... but not in aqua and coral. Midwest color schemes are not my cup of tea. I'll keep the warm browns and neutrals, but sub two other colors to go with them.
    That's it sewbizgirl, the browns remind me of the Midwest. We Mississippi girls have mostly red clay dirt. I keep thinking of Florida Sunsets where the ski is opal colors. Maybe a dark blue will do for the contrast. I love seeing everyone's pulls. Today I get the paint chips.

Blog Entries
    I have all the rulers. But my favorite is "Fit to be Geese". It's just for flying geese, about 4 different sizes. I got it from Debbie McInnis Thompson in Washington state. I had to get a special lesson on how to use it as I don't see some colors, but she helped me and now I can use it well.

I use the Doug Leko ruler a lot when slicing those corners off and it does save fabric. Sort of depends on the instructions and what the finished piece is. I have a lot less "do overs" when I use the ruler.

I like the black also. A friend of mine is changing her colors because she doesn't like browns.
    I'm not sure if I'll be making it this year, but will download the pattern. Good luck with yours. I look forward to seeing everyone's finished quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
    This year I like Bonnie's colors better then any other year, however I am wanting to use my stash, so these are the two options I am thinking about. (Oh I had to add another aqua since that one piece wasn't big enough but I didn't get any new pics taken)

Attachment 583301

Attachment 583302
    Think I'm leaning heavily towards the black print instead of the deep blue.
    Have a blessed day.

Linda

I am also planning to join this mystery. I had determined last year that I would do this years mystery in civil war prints. So, although I really like Bonnie's colors I think I'm going to stay with that. I did find some civil war aquas and teals but I think I'll go with rusty reds for the coral. Gotta go to the LQS today and finish gathering.

This is will be my third Bonnie Hunter mystery and it's such fun to do on the Quiltingboard. Thanks for starting this thread.
    Emily

I know myself and I hate the tediousness of making the same block over and over. So I make the BH mystery as the clues come out w/ all the excitement of everyone doing their reveals of each step b/c w/o that I would never get it finished. This will be my 3rd, I only watched (thankfully) for the Grand Illusion. For Altierre I made all the clues, for En Provence I made 2/3rds, I am planning on 2/3rds again for Ringo Lake.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Bluebonnets, I look forward to seeing your civil war prints -- I find them so fascinating, and that's what I lean toward when buying fabric these days.

I've ordered the folded corner ruler, and plan to use the Easy Angle and Companion ruler again this year. I don't know yet if I'll try to keep up, or just make a few units each week to learn the ropes. I was also thinking 2/3 to 3/4 of the units.
    Lisa

I did the 2/3 size last year too, Kass. (Or was it 3/4? I don't remember!) This year I will be doing full size. 75" x90" is my comfort zone size

Quote Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
    I know myself and I hate the tediousness of making the same block over and over. So I make the BH mystery as the clues come out w/ all the excitement of everyone doing their reveals of each step b/c w/o that I would never get it finished. This will be my 3rd, I only watched (thankfully) for the Grand Illusion. For Altierre I made all the clues, for En Provence I made 2/3rds, I am planning on 2/3rds again for Ringo Lake.
    How big of a quilt did you get from 2/3rds? I definately don't want to make a queen size, I usually make lap size quilts from about 48-60 to 60-72.
    Kristi

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    That's it sewbizgirl, the browns remind me of the Midwest. We Mississippi girls have mostly red clay dirt. I keep thinking of Florida Sunsets where the ski is opal colors. Maybe a dark blue will do for the contrast. I love seeing everyone's pulls. Today I get the paint chips.
    Yes, I think a navy blues would work great as the dark! I even toyed with very dark greens, but I didn't feel like dark green would be 'dark neutral' in that case and introduce more of a color.

I also thought you could use a deep charcoal too. I think with that though you might need to use neutrals that are on the cool side. I think charcoal, coral, aqua and cool neutrals would definitely give it a modern feel!
    Kristi

Quote Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
    How big of a quilt did you get from 2/3rds? I definately don't want to make a queen size, I usually make lap size quilts from about 48-60 to 60-72.
    With En Provence, Bonnie's full pattern measured at 87"x87" and my 2/3 size came to about 60"x80", before the boards I added on myself. With this year's MQ measuring at 75"x90", a half size will probably make about the size you are looking for.

I already had 2 rulers that I think can do similar jobs.

1) A ruler by Kimberly Einmo that does the geese and triangles. I think it's called the EZ triangle & geese ruler.

2) Corner Pop Ruler by Deb Tucker. You cut the units as squares and then use the ruler to trim off the appropriate corner.
    Kristi

Too funny - I am walking through a fabric store this morning with some bolts, and a woman passes me on the way to the cutting tables, she smiles and holds up her fabrics and says "Bonnie Hunter"! So we proceeded to compare our choices. It just cracked me up:-)

Here are my fabrics, I think:

Name:  20171103_111136-800x600.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  121.4 KB
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1932 15-88, 1933 99k25 HC, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

Mine ended up being 70x86 it had 12 blocks, 3 across and 4 down
    Name:  DSC_1047.JPG
Views: 795
Size:  440.6 KB

Name:  DSC_1050.JPG
Views: 760
Size:  299.8 KB

I thought I did 2/3rds but maybe it was 3/4ths.
    Quote Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Beautiful choices Theresa! I'm off to the quilt store this afternoon to hopefully get the corals, hope I can find some as pretty as yours.

Kass, that's absolutely gorgeous!!!

I love how yours turned out Kass! It was very original! Isn't it great how just a few tweaks can make a whole new look!

Here's mine from last year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the easy angle and companion angle have more than earned their price. 24.00 for the Leko corner ruler is way outside my pocket.
    I ordered the "folded corner clipper" by Prairie Sky Quilting for 12.00 including shipping off ebay. It just does the corner clipper lines, but that is all I need, great invention. I think Leko's might do a lot more, but it would also confuse me

Prairie Sky Quilting

Page 2 of 112 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 52 102 ... LastLast