Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 11-04-2017, 06:36 PM

Is anyone planing on color change placement? I am pretty sure I am exchanging the dark and light (neutral and black print in my case)
Old 11-04-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Is anyone planing on color change placement? I am pretty sure I am exchanging the dark and light (neutral and black print in my case)
I don't think I am that brave, LOL! Cudos to you for your sense of adventure.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:15 PM

Oh Wow! That sounds fabulous! I think since this is my first time, I'm going to stick with her colors. But I love your idea!!! and might consider it once I've got one of these under my belt!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-08-2017 at 08:30 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-04-2017, 09:21 PM

I will also be joining in again have made the last 5 or 6. So not sure my colors yet do not have a lot of dark brown probably have enough but not a lot of variety they are 1/2 yard pieces we will see. Have considered using deep purple for brown and orange for coral and sticking to aqua/teal. Or going with Civil war fabrics brown, blue, gold/cheddar. So will be waiting probably until last minute to decide which way to go. Have them all laid out and marinating as I walk in and out of sewing room.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:27 AM

Wow, Kassandra - you impress me with your spirit of adventure - I think I'm too "controlled" to venture onto that path, but I will be very anxious to watch yours progress. If I remember right, you QAYG all of your quilts and I am curious as to how you approached your last mystery quilt. It would be a good skill to have.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:21 AM

I made a tutorial of how I quilted En Provence in the tutorial section about QAYG w/ wide pieced borders. The En Provence pictures disappeared but the wording under each picture stayed. I replaced the pictures w/ new ones from my Summer Citrus / Citrus nights quilt I did w/ the same technique, but they are in a post I believe on the second page.
Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
Wow, Kassandra - you impress me with your spirit of adventure - I think I'm too "controlled" to venture onto that path, but I will be very anxious to watch yours progress. If I remember right, you QAYG all of your quilts and I am curious as to how you approached your last mystery quilt. It would be a good skill to have.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

It’s sure going to be interesting and fun to see all these colorways made up into the quilt... and Kassaundra’s color value switch! Krisb, I love the colors you’ve pulled!

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 11-05-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:19 AM

I was thinking about it - I have a Lot of very yummy brown fabric and not much white/cream because I used most of what I had on En Provence. For Ringo, the white makes up 33% of the fabric & the brown just 19% so the end quilt will probably look more light than dark - if I flipped them I could use up most of my brown & would have enough white.

The turquoise is 28% & melon is 20% so if I swap the brown & cream, wonder if I should swap the turquoise & melon too. This is why it's scary to experiment with a mystery quilt!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-08-2017 at 08:31 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-05-2017, 08:11 AM

That does sound fun! Maybe I'll do a half size one in totally off the wall colors.

Maybe even with a Christmas look. I was on a roll for a while and bought quite a bit of christmas themed fabric and now I look at it and wonder "what was I thinking?"
Old 11-05-2017, 08:22 AM

I'm glad we have adventurous quilters in our midst. It's such fun to work along side you and see the results. The value-reversed quilts usually end up being quite dramatic.

This is my first four-color Bonnie quilt. I'm so curious as to how these colors will play out!