Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ringo-lake-bonnie-hunter-mystery-quilt-2017-18-a-t292318.html)

NZquilter 12-08-2017 06:24 AM

This is a big clue! (I thought Bonnie said we might be taking it slow, lol!) Lucky for all of you making a half size. I might have bitten off more than I can chew by deciding to do the full size, but clue one looked so easy I thought I would be sailing! It will probably take me several days just to cut out the units! I have to just keep telling myself it's not a race. With two babies under the age of two, I have a good excuse to be behind. :)

This unit will look so pretty in any finished quilt. I can't wait to see everyone's progress!

mawluv 12-08-2017 06:35 AM

Oh gawd, I hate these units, but I love Bonnie!!!!!

joe'smom 12-08-2017 07:01 AM

At least we don't have to sew the units into pairs.

I have quite a few extra neutral squares cut from clue #2, so I guess I'll start this clue with the basic method in order to use those up. Once they run out, maybe I'll give the Bonnie method a try. Now to print out the clue!

tscweaves 12-08-2017 07:21 AM

Oh wow, I have never made units like these. Any recommendations for the best way to make, eek, since I am doing a half, 60 each?

lmanna 12-08-2017 07:53 AM

This is a new unit for me as well. I hope I am as excited about the reveal as I am about the clues :-)

Kassaundra 12-08-2017 08:04 AM

Well I went and looked at the clue. When I've done these in the past I've paper pieced them, but not interested in that much paper tearing and printing. Since I'm doing yardage I will make these w/ no waste by cutting strips then cutting parallelograms for the centers, and then cutting strips, then squares then triangles for the ends. If the strips are stacked right sides together (or back sides together) the mirror images will already be set so no big thinking involved there.

Macybaby 12-08-2017 08:11 AM

oh my - I just made a ton of this type of unit for the Rainbow quilt, and I was happy I was done!

I'll finish up the clue #2 for my two alternate quilts, and then start on this one.

It's not much bigger (in count) than the last one - and I find these units way easier than flying geese. I do them the no waste method - I have 13 coral fabrics, most are fat quarters so it will be real easy to cut two rows of each and then stack them in sets, and cut one one face up and one face down. I do the same with the neutrals, but I only have 6 fabrics there.

auntjo 12-08-2017 10:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
step 2 - going, still going, and done just in time...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]584948[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]584949[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]584950[/ATTACH]

tscweaves 12-08-2017 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 7958547)
oh my - I just made a ton of this type of unit for the Rainbow quilt, and I was happy I was done!

I'll finish up the clue #2 for my two alternate quilts, and then start on this one.

It's not much bigger (in count) than the last one - and I find these units way easier than flying geese. I do them the no waste method - I have 13 coral fabrics, most are fat quarters so it will be real easy to cut two rows of each and then stack them in sets, and cut one one face up and one face down. I do the same with the neutrals, but I only have 6 fabrics there.

I am being really dense here. I just do not understand the no waste method. I have tried dong them 2 different wahs now and I cannot get the little monsters to come out to the right size. This is really aggravating:(

Belfrybat 12-08-2017 10:43 AM

Anyone know of an easier way to make these blocks? I hate the waste of all those little triangle pieces (and no, I'm not going to make tiny HST out of them). But when I try to do the parallelograms and triangles, they tend to get eaten by the feed dogs.