Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Scrappy Irish Chain Sew-Along (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/scrappy-irish-chain-sew-along-t304703.html)

Annaquilts 05-24-2019 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej (Post 8257503)
Ladies for my bird background fabric I reserved 10" for the squares in the scrappy chain blocks. The other 26" went to making 11 bird backgrounds. I have some plain lavendar that matches the star fabric. I was thinking of using the rest of the star fabric and make 4 to 65 more birds and using the plain lavendar in the scrappy chain blocks. Here's a picture of the fabrics together. [ATTACH=CONFIG]613228[/ATTACH] If I use the rest of the star fabric for the bird backgrounds then I could have a quilt that is 50x60.

some nice lavender fabrics. Can't wait to see what you make with it.

jmoore 05-25-2019 03:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Christine, I am much like you ... I don’t like the feeling of a “growing” stash so often look for scrappy projects to help tame my stash. I just finished this scrap quilt and will look for another project after the Irish chain we are working on. I have Amanda Nyberg’s book “No Scrap Left Behind” [ATTACH=CONFIG]613231[/ATTACH]

TheMerkleFamily 05-25-2019 03:54 AM

Jmoore your blue scrappy is just beautiful! Very tranquil to me. I took a quick look online at her book and from what little I could see she has a bit of a modern-scrappy style which I like. Once I finish a few quilts that I must have done this summer then I will have plenty of add'l left-overs for the next scrappy. I think it may be a continuing effort :)

Queen - i like your idea to continue with the lavender star background for your birdies - I'm anxious to see how this all comes together and imagine it will be very pretty!

Off to put a baste and quilt a lap quilt so I can get back to making a few more Irish Chain blocks :)

Happy Memorial Day weekend to all!

sprice 05-26-2019 05:17 AM

Jmoore, I love your blue scrappy. Lots of different fabrics but yet very orderly. Nice job.

thimblebug6000 05-26-2019 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore (Post 8257550)
Christine, I am much like you ... I don’t like the feeling of a “growing” stash so often look for scrappy projects to help tame my stash. I just finished this scrap quilt and will look for another project after the Irish chain we are working on. I have Amanda Nyberg’s book “No Scrap Left Behind” [ATTACH=CONFIG]613231[/ATTACH]

Love your quilt! Did you make a strata for your strips or are they paper pieced?

jmoore 05-27-2019 02:34 AM

Thimblebug, you just sew strips together that are at least 5 inches in length but the width or each strip varies between 1 1/4 to 2”. Once you get a long strip done you trim it and then you sew a scrappy strip to each side of your focus fabric to make a block. It’s a great scrap buster and a good project to take to a Sew Along or retreat.

ckcowl 05-27-2019 03:21 AM

Another great way to use more scraps. I was asked not long ago if I had made an Irish Chain quilt. I guess it’s about time I did. I will enjoy sewing along.

TheMerkleFamily 05-27-2019 03:54 PM

Well, after finishing yard work, washing cars, replacing an exterior door, enjoying time with friends at a BBQ and even finishing up another quilt - after all of that I was able to piece an additional 10 of my blocks for a total of 17 so far.. I will spend my free time this week piecing more blocks - once I get going it seems to go pretty quickly.

I hope everyone enjoyed a nice Memorial Day weekend and please do take a moment to remember all who have made the ultimate sacrifice :)

Irishrose2 05-27-2019 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have three rows sewn together and the other 3 done. I've started the border, too. Yes, I know it's bright, but I like it. I am concerned about how to quilt the open spaces. FMQ isn't my strong point.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]613326[/ATTACH]

sewbizgirl 05-28-2019 06:07 AM

Pretty and bright, Irishrose! You can always do some straight line quilting... an overall cross hatch or something.