Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Scrappy Irish Chain Sew-Along (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/scrappy-irish-chain-sew-along-t304703.html)

sewbizgirl 06-05-2019 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by travelinggramma (Post 8262049)
I can see a simple embroidery center too. So many ideas - so hard not to be able to sew!

Yes! You can do the embroidered parts while you travel... :thumbup:

GramE 06-05-2019 06:28 PM

I have to keep lurking. I don’t have enough candies and I have 3 projects going. I have to finish something before I begin anything else but you all are inspiring me! Keep on keeping on! ❤️

cherrybsixty 06-06-2019 02:16 AM

I like GramE, keeping lurking and lurking at this thread and truly getting inspired. I've been wanting to do an IC since the beginning of my quilting experience and just haven't stepped up to the challenge. I did make a slight attempt at it once and was later told the squares weren't a true 2.5 and that top was finished as another name. Maybe I should get over that hurdle and try it again cause I love a control scrappy. All you quilters are doing great work and I'm loving what you are showing us. I'll keeping lurking and you all keep posting those beautiful works of art. Have a productive day now.

Cherryb

TheMerkleFamily 06-06-2019 06:22 AM

GramE & cherrybsixty - come on in and join us! At the moment, I am preoccupied with another project, too, but will be back at my IC when I can. For me, this is a relaxing, fun, do-at-my-own-pace pattern that I’m enjoying a whole bunch! And I agree this thread is quite inspiring!

jclinganrey 06-06-2019 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by travelinggramma (Post 8262049)
Thank you Jane - this is another awesome quilt pattern! I am traveling now - and not sewing with the machine - but this will be my first one when I get back. I might even have to see about separating my candy just for this!
Love all the ideas and colors you all are doing. I can see a simple embroidery center too. So many ideas - so hard not to be able to sew!

Good to hear from you! Hope all is well & look forward to seeing your Irish Chain!

jmoore 06-06-2019 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay Christine...here are a few of my blocks I’ve pieced over the last couple of days. The weather is finally beginning to warm up here in Maine so I have been on a couple of hikes over the past week and outdoors gardening. This IC sew along will be the perfect casual paced project for summer. [ATTACH=CONFIG]613606[/ATTACH]

WMUTeach 06-06-2019 06:57 PM

Nice balance of colors. I always wonder about balance when I start a true scrappy quilt. It always works out, but I still wonder. I see the string of red or redish that lends nice diagonal movement and lends some cohesiveness to the blocks. Good work with just a little planning.

TheMerkleFamily 06-06-2019 08:00 PM

Beautiful JMoore - your colors are so bright & bold :) And I really like the center red chain - sure makes the rest of your scrappy colors play well together! You have a nice blend of light/med/dark whereas mine lean more to the medium/dark. So far, every unique blend of color has been outstanding.

I've been busy quilting my DMIL's queen sized quilt project with a high loft poly batting that she had on hand and I'm not used to such volume on my DSM. Wrestling it through the Juki has proven to be a bit of a workout! And taking longer than I'd had hoped. I'll be admiring all the IC progress from the sidelines for a few more days. Love seeing all of the pictures!

Darcyshannon 06-06-2019 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok. You’re right. This Irish chain quilt is not scrappy. It is for my DH who loves his basketball and has been following his team for over 30 years. It was hard to put together because it was kind of boring keeping it so controlled. I need to put on the final two borders and quilt it.

Question on quilting: I plan to do lines through the small squares and then a central motif in the gray areas. Do you think I can do all the quilting in gray or change thread to match the yellow and blue?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]613616[/ATTACH]

QuiltnNan 06-07-2019 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Darcyshannon (Post 8262548)
...Question on quilting: I plan to do lines through the small squares and then a central motif in the gray areas. Do you think I can do all the quilting in gray or change thread to match the yellow and blue?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]613616[/ATTACH]

i think the gray would be fine since it is a 'neutral' color. if I had the right colors, though, i would match the others