Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Stash-busting Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/stash-busting-challenge-t196607.html)

Neesie 08-04-2012 03:20 PM

How long must the fabric have been in our stash, before "finding" it? For a recent lap quilt, I bought "extra" because I'm really good at cutting wrong, if I don't buy extra (I consider it insurance). Turns out I ended up having enough, for a second top. :p Okay, guess that really shouldn't count, since it's less than a month old. :D

farmquilter 08-04-2012 03:45 PM

I just finished a quilt for a Habitat Mom using the 10-minute block and it was all from stash. My goal has been to use only stash to make gift quilts. Also will deliver 3 small quilts to foster sisters tomorrow afternoon--from stash.
No pictures but wanted to get in on the stash project.
Jan in MI

jclinganrey 08-04-2012 07:34 PM

After doing a lot of clicking and scrolling around, I found the tutorial on the butterfly block. I don't know if anyone else had trouble finding it - - - maybe it was just me. Anyway, I'm posting it here for anyone who is interested. I'm looking forward to starting some butterflies!!

Quilt on - - -

Jane

http://mrsschmenkmanquilts.wordpress...lock-tutorial/

jillaine 08-05-2012 02:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's progress on my first entry. (this is also a UFO so I might post in that topic too). Top is 100% stash-"bought". Haven't figured out what the backing will be. I was amazed I had enough in my stash to make this big enough for a king especially the borders (and I may add one more border which may drop this to 90% because most of my stash consists of half-yard pieces).

I'm waiting for the arrival of the batting.

(This is also the quilt upon which Inspector Gryphon sits in my avatar.)

Oh poo. Still can't upload photos from iPhone. Back in a minute with the laptop.[ATTACH=CONFIG]353573[/ATTACH]

jillaine 08-05-2012 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5417884)
How long must the fabric have been in our stash, before "finding" it? For a recent lap quilt, I bought "extra" because I'm really good at cutting wrong, if I don't buy extra (I consider it insurance). Turns out I ended up having enough, for a second top. :p Okay, guess that really shouldn't count, since it's less than a month old. :D

I'm not a very strict person. I'd say that leftovers from non-stash-"purchased" fabric becomes stash. Or do quilters distinguish their stash from their scraps/leftovers? I'm not sure I make that distinction myself.

Oh, and btw, this is not necessarily a scrappy challenge. Guess it depends on a) the size of your stash and b) the size of the pieces in your stash. But we've all seen stash photos that reveal that some of us on this board have stashes the size of small (and not-so-small?) LQSes!!! Some stashers (is that a nicer word than hoarders?) purchase entire bolts!

For myself, most of my stash collection is in half-yard increments because that was my "habit" for fabric purchasing for a good chunk of time. (Not sure why-- something about wanting to get as much variety as possible?) Somewhere in the last year, I shifted to full-yard purchases, and in some cases even two-yard purchases.

All this gives me another idea. If you feel like it, post a photo of your "stash-store"-- what are YOU "shopping" from?

Neesie 08-05-2012 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine (Post 5418601)
I'm not a very strict person. I'd say that leftovers from non-stash-"purchased" fabric becomes stash. Or do quilters distinguish their stash from their scraps/leftovers? I'm not sure I make that distinction myself.
~~~~~~~
Cool! Of course, the trick will be to actually finish the entire project. :p Lately, I've just been having fun, making the (lap size) tops. I seem to have become addicted to that Warm Wishes pattern. It's just such a relaxing and easy pattern. No points to worry about; just zip, zip, zip, slash, slash, slash, zip, zip, zip . . . and there it is! :D

. . .
All this gives me another idea. If you feel like it, post a photo of your "stash-store"-- what are YOU "shopping" from?

~~~~~
Ahhhh! Just what I seriously need - incentive to finish organizing my stash, in order to take a picture of it! :)

auntlucy 08-05-2012 11:27 AM

Think I'll join in. I have recently been crocheting with narrow strips that I cut from fabric in my stash that is dated, less than pretty or lower quality. Will post photos when I finish the purse.

Vanogay 08-05-2012 12:25 PM

Stash busting Challenge

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my Scrappy Asian - out of a magazine and I might just make another one. Bought the fabric for a quilt I made about 2 years ago. This has been sitting and a friend brought me the magazine in case I wanted to try - I did. This is before the quilting. Even the black was left over. I think I had to purchase the backing as I didn't like anything I had to use. Does this stil make it 90% or not???????????????

auntlucy 08-05-2012 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vanogay (Post 5419801)
Here is my Scrappy Asian - out of a magazine and I might just make another one. Bought the fabric for a quilt I made about 2 years ago. This has been sitting and a friend brought me the magazine in case I wanted to try - I did. This is before the quilting. Even the black was left over. I think I had to purchase the backing as I didn't like anything I had to use. Does this stil make it 90% or not???????????????

Which magazine and issue had the pattern?

raedar63 08-05-2012 02:14 PM

Looking forward to this thread . I have not bought fabric for about a year . I have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many scraps probably 3-4 trash bags full . It is overwhelming ! I wish I had an accu quilt I would iron them and then crank away !