Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Stash-busting Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/stash-busting-challenge-t196607.html)

AngeliaNR 12-29-2013 07:48 PM

went to equilters new sale. omg.. in the 4.00 range there are so many blenders and such that I need lol oh yeah need them like a hole in the head but really wowsa. its tough to bust ones stash when your tempted with big sales right now. keep me from going over the deep edge and joing the 'dark' side.. I so want a few of those fabrics and no idea what I would 'need' them for.. maybe just one.. or fifteen..

They do have some beautiful fabric on sale! I won't tell if you don't :).

mom-6 12-29-2013 09:49 PM

I don't necessarily consider the "age" of items in my fabric stash when choosing what fabric to use in a particular project. If it fits the color range needed and in general is an ok fabric for the usage it doesn't matter to me if its older than I am or brand new. In fact most of my stash is anywhere from five to ten years old and quite a bit is older than that. And I consider all of it fair game unless it is designated for a particular project.
I am currently collecting fabrics for two vintage projects, a double wedding ring and a grandmothers flower garden variation, for which I want all the fabrics to be reminiscent of the fabrics in the ones I had once upon a time. So those will definitely not be using new fabrics. Will most likely use some that are probably really 70s/80s just because they look right with the older ones.
And then there are batiks! Are they retro or modern or timeless?

Ccorazone 12-30-2013 06:59 AM

I have some tops in the works. I will post when they are completed.

AngeliaNR 12-30-2013 07:36 AM

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but, to me, calico is never out of style! :)

Annaquilts 12-30-2013 08:41 AM

AngelinaRN and mom-6, thank you for your words and thoughts regarding older fabrics. I do like the look of calico and made the twins dresses out of it for Christmas. It reminds me of Little House on the Prairie.

GrannieAnnie 12-31-2013 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by jillaine (Post 5415333)
Inspired by recent discussions about self- (or spouse-) imposed moratoriums on fabric purchases, I thought a stash-busting challenge would further support those of us seeking to shop (and quilt) from our stash. This challenge's purpose is to support us by celebrating every project that is born of one's stash. Photos are strongly encouraged.

Anyone can play-- whether or not you're on a fabric purchasing moratorium.

To qualify as a success, 90% of your finished project must be made from your stash. For quilts, this means 90% of your quilt TOP. (Although Challenge participants will receive extra points-- cheers and applause-- for projects that are 100% stash-produced.)

"Finished" means all the way done and ready to use.

Who's going to post their first "made from stash" photo?

Any size minimum?

AngeliaNR 01-01-2014 03:40 PM

I'm going to do this this year. Need to reduce a bit--I have lots of beautiful fabrics, but they need to be used instead of stacked out of sight.

kristakz 01-01-2014 03:45 PM

Just found this thread, and I want in :) I am determined to quilt from stash this year, and do something with the dozen or so projects on my wish list. And I just finished 2 tops this week completely from stash (New Year's mystery quilts).

playswithcolor 01-02-2014 07:30 PM

current stash buster

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my latest stashbuster. I was going to buy fabric (gasp!) for the setting triangles but found the blue in my stash. The pattern is from Bonnie Hunters Website. It's approx. 42 x 63 before adding a narrow border.
I think the binding will be bright scrappy.

adnil458 01-03-2014 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Anna I like all your quilts and smiled because I was recently gifted some remnants of snowmen :)