Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   UFO Challenge of the Month 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/ufo-challenge-month-2011-a-t85770.html)

grugirl 02-19-2011 03:57 PM

My quilt ROOM is a UFO

Judebug 02-23-2011 11:44 PM

grugirl. Love your comment. Actually my studio is a WIP as I never seem to be totally satisfied with it. Keeps us gals busy doesn't it. BTW ~ I was born and still live in Alaska and the long winters are ideal for UFO's and WIP's. : )

wildyard 02-24-2011 09:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Arghhhhhhh, I don't think I'm going to make it with the UFO I chose for this month. I finished 2 of the rows and am working on the last one, but then still have borders to come up with and then the backing, quilting and binding. I am thinking I better look for another UFO that I can finish faster and give this one to March. LOL. I do plead the quilt for my sister that I made and giving 2 weeks of my time to my DSIL as my reasons tho. Note I didn't say excuses!!

Here are pics of the two rows I did manage to finish towards my dedicated project. Now I'm going to search for something I can finish fast. LOL

A Is For Apple Pie - Sept Row; Blowin' In The Wind- Nov. Row
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138034[/ATTACH]

Sept and Nov Rows
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138035[/ATTACH]

biscuitqueen 02-24-2011 05:16 PM

those are really cool, I can't wait for March. Good luck on Feb.

stpatmom 02-25-2011 07:51 AM

If I finished more than one project in January, does it count as a finished early for February? If not, I better lock myself in my room this weekend until I have something to show for it!

clsurz 02-25-2011 10:48 AM

Guess I'd better start doing something with all this fabric I've been buying in last 3-4 months so I can have some UFO's. :twisted:

Iris P. 03-03-2011 08:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the quilts I finished for March--the first one has been laying around for about two years, waiting to be quilted, and the second one has had the squares piling up bit by bit as I had leftover fabric. I thought I would get the top done quickly once I had the right amount of squares but of course that did not happen. By the time I got around to it, I had enough of them to put together two quilts for the outreach program of our Quilting Guild!! (The outreach program send the quilts collected to the hospitals) :-)

This one is called Sunlight and Shadows.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]148193[/ATTACH]

wildyard 03-04-2011 08:10 AM

Your sunlight and shadows quilt is awesome!! And I love the fairly simple yet double, even triple, patterned design in the other two. I do a lot of scrappy quilts and you can be sure I will be using that one!
Can you share with us which technique you used in making the squares for your scrappy quilts?

Iris P. 03-04-2011 05:39 PM

Thank you--I'm glad you like the quilts. As for the scrappy quilt, the squares are easy to make but you do need a 6 inch square acrylic ruler with diagonal line.

You start with a 6 inch square of fabric, then cut in half diagonally to make two triangles. Stitch these on either side of a 1/2 inch strip (about 8 inches long or so) and iron it. Using the acrylic ruler, trim the square to 6 inches, aligning the diagonal line on the ruler with the center of the strip. Repeat the process for however many squares you want. (I find a baby quilt usually takes 6 rows of 8 squares i.e. 48 squares). It is a great way to use scraps and I usually just make some squares when I have leftover fabric and put the squares in a box. When the box is full, I make the quilt (unless of course I forget all about it and then it becomes a UFO!!!)

It is a great quilt for children! Happy quilting!! :D

biscuitqueen 03-04-2011 05:44 PM

I too would be interested in making the scrapy quilt that is really cool.

wildyard how do you post here I couldn't find it when I posted my UFO's for Jan. or Feb.