Scrap those scrap mounds

Old 06-07-2018, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
About cutting the scraps into useful sizes. if all I can get out of it is a 5" square or smaller, it is a scrap. If it's bigger than that I leave it alone unless I need it for my current or next project. My stash is mostly FQ's and half yards, so my idea of a scrap is pretty small. I guess most of my quilts are controlled scrappy (1 or 2 colors + neutral) and I like 50+ fabrics minimum in a quilt which is why I don't tend to buy yardage.
Here is a current project...a faux scrappy Hunter's Star made with blue, green, brown and neutral scraps. I wasn't going to work on this quite yet, but picked up some vintage fabric scraps off the free table at a guild meeting one night and had to try them out...
Looking good so far....
Old 06-08-2018, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
After my Window project, I decided to work on my collection of rose fabrics, many of which are FQ and smaller. I did have to pull from my stash for yardage for the sashings and binding. Here are the blocks I have so far. The center square is 8" finished and the blocks are 16" finished. I only had 6 large prints so I am doing 2 of each.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]595655[/ATTACH]
Agree! Love the fussy cutting boquets.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:12 AM

wildyard, your rose quilt idea is so lovely.

I have never made a true scrap quilt like the ones shown here. My scraps are not easy to access. This is an inspiring thread to follow!
Old 06-08-2018, 08:48 AM

Sewbizgirl, your quilt is so wonderfully colorful. The black-and-white fabric ties it all together so well... I love it and wish my scrappies came out near that good!!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 PM

Cathy, is there a name/pattern for the star in the black quilt? I really like that and it's amazing how just changing the color changes the entire look of a quilt.
Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I'd join but I already did this for this year. So now I'm starting a new scrap pile for next year.

These are all the "scrappy" quilt tops assembled this spring

These two are in progress, but all the peices are ready. The string quilt is in rows that need to be sewn together.
They are both pictures of only a part of the quilt. Both will end up around queen size.

This one pretty much used up my batik scraps - though I did have to buy a layer cake as I ran out of a few colors.

I still have a few totes of 1.5" and 2.5" strips, and one of triangles, but I sort of sick of scrappy quilts right now.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:10 AM

Sorry for not getting back sooner -

The top two quilts are made from Judy's 18th Mystery Train pattern, which can be found on the Blocks of the Month and week section of Quilting board. Judy puts together some really nice mysterys!

The third is Snake River, the fourth is the Boxes of Strings quilt along (on this forum), the forth is from a picture I found online, don't recall the name though.

The final, with the center on point, is Sylvia's Bridal Sampler, also done as a quilt along on this board (found in Blocks of the Month and Week). The layout is my own, as are the borders. I wanted it to look like there was a smaller quilt laying on top of the larger one.

Last edited by Macybaby; 06-15-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:22 AM

10 minutes of someone trying to crawl out from under the scraps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_OOQ3p0jpY
Old 06-15-2018, 05:55 PM

My scraps are put in boxes and containers not organized or sorted or cut. I do cut small stripes 2.5” or smaller. I want to make a few strip projects. I consider a scrap to be smaller than a fq. Any left over fabric larger than a fq from a project goes into my stash pile. Over the last 2 years, i’ve Made several scrappy quilt tops from my scrap bin. I’m using my scraps and stash to make my 9-patches for swap. I consider pre-cuts as stash. I consider my 2.5” squares as stash. This is my system and i’m Sticking with my disorganization.

I will try to make 2 more scrappy tops from my scrappy pile by the end of the year to use up some of my scraps.

On this thread, do we consider our stash = scraps.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:48 PM

I complete 20 blocks each for 2 different swaps all from my stash and scraps. I'm currently working on another swap 9-patches, mostly so far from my scraps. I have not made a dent in my scrap pile. Next month my goal will be to separate fabric stripes into 3 piles so I can do another scrap quilt. I also finished the top on Judy's mystery train ride #18. I really like the way that turned out. I did buy 2 pieces of fabric to compete that project.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:02 PM

I had 4 large totes, a medium size box and a full Walmart bag full of scraps two days ago. Now I have 1 full tote for cutting into squares, rectangles, strips etc with my GO. I found larger pieces of fabric that I sorted into colors and put into my bins. I also found about 1/2 of a tote that was all my strips I cut 3 years ago! I sorted all my calicos for a quilt I plan to make soon. I’m going to sort all my strips by color in a few days. I have 4 very large bags I’m dropping off at a thrift store. I ended up with a tote filled with small pieces and very thin fabric that will be used for dog beds. I’m not near done cleaning out but I’ve made a huge start, DH is amazed but said he knew I’d do it. I want my fabric neat and orderly and easy to use. I still have a huge amount of fabric but I’m determined to go through every piece and decide if it stays or goes. It feels great!