Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • After all these years - >
  • After all these years -

• After all these years -

Old 05-22-2024, 10:25 AM

I've solved the whole looking for the cell phone thing. I mostly don't. If its upstairs and I'm downstairs, I figure I'll check for calls when I go back up. That's what voice mail is for. Ditto on text messages. I'll answer when I get to it. I refuse to be a slave to a phone. This is very annoying to my husband at times, like when someone hit his car and he had to handle to whole thing himself
    Old 05-22-2024, 10:54 AM
    Power Poster

I have no idea how I was able to cook beef roasts, etc., for years before he retired. Now he is telling me what temperature I should use to cook the meat, how long I should bake it, and so forth. GRRRRRRR

I do not grill - at all - nada - so that is his thing - and I let him cook whatever however he chooses to do it. Usually it is good, usually it's edible -
    Old 05-22-2024, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I have no idea how I was able to cook beef roasts, etc., for years before he retired. Now he is telling me what temperature I should use to cook the meat, how long I should bake it, and so forth. GRRRRRRR

I do not grill - at all - nada - so that is his thing - and I let him cook whatever however he chooses to do it. Usually it is good, usually it's edible -
    I remember when my mom and dad retired. One day my mom was vacuuming (something I never saw my dad do) and he started telling her how to do it. That was the day my mom told my dad (a lifelong bowler) he needed to join a bowling league! lol
    Old 05-22-2024, 08:01 PM

One day I was complaining about my DH to my best friend, she said, all men over 50 suffer from OMS. Never heard of it, she said "Old Man Syndrome". My daughter has modified it to GOMS - Grump Old Man Syndrome. Some sayds are worse than others.
    Old 05-23-2024, 01:47 PM
    Power Poster

Took me years to realize that yes, opening sugar bags will get sugar everywhere. Now I put the bag in the sink then open it.

I use the dishwasher every day and it's only two of us here. Most time only the top rack is full or half full. I don't care. What difference does it make if the dishwasher is full or not? It sure is fast and easy to unload. Same with laundry, what we wear that day is washed that night. Small load, I don't sort but use color catchers, less dryer time, fast to fold and put away. Large loads are once a week for linens, rugs, towels, etc.

Last edited by Onebyone; 05-23-2024 at 01:50 PM.
    Old 05-24-2024, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

I hear ya...my semi-retired DH has suddenly taken a keen interest in housekeeping and gardening. He has the oddest ideas on how to do these chores and of course, he knows best. Yeah...right...like some magic housekeeping fairy and gnome gardener were taking care of these things all these years and now he has to step in and "fix" everything.
    Old 05-26-2024, 01:55 PM
    Power Poster

When my husband retired I told him do not bug me and we'll be fine. He has taken over some of the household chores because he knows I don't like doing them. He started gardening and he likes it. He built 4ft raised beds after the first garden season. Now he wants to build a green house. He grills a lot of our meals. I'm happy he retired and enjoying it.
    Old 05-26-2024, 02:13 PM

Just to show that sometimes even the old dogs can surprise you: The kids came over for the weekend. This morning, DH told me to go sit at the table and he'd take care of making the scrambled eggs. Bacon was already warming in the oven. It was so very nice to sit and visit while someone else did the cooking. And then he really surprised me--he cleaned up!! I actually thought about asking who this white haired man was and what he had done with my husband!!
    Old 05-27-2024, 03:58 AM

you know what they say about husbands retiring - half as much income, twice as much husband.
    Old 05-27-2024, 05:55 AM

I planted the flowers for years with no help needed. DH was still working but decided he needed to assist and mixed up dirt and fertilizer for my pots. The plants looked terrible and nothing was said. I replaced his soil mixture and bought new plants. Now he minds his own business when it comes to planting flowers.