Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Anyone out there with Celiac Disease? >

Anyone out there with Celiac Disease?

Anyone out there with Celiac Disease?

Old 02-08-2008, 05:58 PM

Finally, I get back to the computer with a little time to pass on a couple of good recipes.

First, the Raspberry Brownies

Bottom:
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, cut into small squares
1/2 cup butter
2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs
1 cup rice flour

Fill
1/2 cup Raspberry preserves
2 oz semi sweet chocolate
1 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 eggs
1 cup butter, cut up and soft, but NOT melted.

Glaze
1 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 Tablespoon butter

Heat oven to 350

Bottom:
Over low heat melt the chocolate and butter, remove and cool
Beat sugar, salt, vanilla and eggs together. Stir in the chocolate mixture and beat until well blended. Gradually add the flour. Pour into a greased 9X12 baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool 1/2 hour.

Spread the Raspberry preserves over the cooked brownies.

Fill:
Melt the 2 chocolates together

Add the sugar to the water, bring to a boil and cook for one minute.
In a large bowl beat eggs to a froth add the sugar and water and beat at the hights speed for 5 minutes. It should be thick and lemon colored. Gradually add the butter 1 small piece at a time and beat well after each. Add melted chocolate, beat well until smooth. (it's going to look bad, like you will swear you messed it up. Keep going. It will all of a sudden be like butter cream frosting)
Spread on top of the raspberry preserves.

Glaze:
Melt the chocolate and butter together , drizzle over the fill.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:21 PM

The next recipe is for Crustless Almond Pear Tart

6 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup whole almonds
2/3 cup plut 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 tablespoons pear eau-de-vie (I use plain brandy)
1/4 cup whole milk
1 vanilla pod, split lengthwise and seeds removed. (Or 1 teaspoon vanilla)
2 firm but ripe pears (preferrably bosc)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a fluted 9 1/2 by 1 inch ceramic baking dish or tart pan.

In a small saucepan, melt 5 tablespoon of the butter over low heat until melted. Remove from heat, let cool to room temp and set aside until needed. Cut the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter into small pieces and set aside until needed.

Place the almonds and 2/3 cup of the sugar in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process, pulsing on and off, until finely ground. Do not over process or the mixture will form a paste. Transfer to a large bowl and add the flour, spices and salt. Mix well.

In a small bowl, combine the eggs, eau-de-vie, milk, vanilla seeds and teh reserved melted butter and mix well. Add to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour the batter into the prepared dish or pan and smooth the surface.

Using a sharp knife, cut the pears crosswise into 1/8-inch-wide slices, keeping the slices together as you go. One quarter at a time, slide the pears onto a narry spatula or palette knife and set on top of the batter with the smaller (neck) end of the pear in the center and the wider end toward the outer edge--like the spokes of a wheel. Arrange all the pears in this fashion and gently press into the batter so only the surface of the pears is exposed. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and scatter the butter pieces over the top.

Bake on the lower shelf of the oven 10 minutes. Rotate to the upper shelf and bake 30 to 35 minutes longer, or until the batter is puffy and golden brown. Set cool slightly and serve warm or cool completely an serv at room temp.
Great with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

Enjoy!!!

I just made one of these, here's what they look like. Just as delicious as they are pretty!

Old 02-08-2008, 06:31 PM

hmmm, I don't even like pears & that looks really good!
Jo
Old 02-09-2008, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the recipes and that does look really good! :)
Old 02-19-2008, 02:32 PM

Was browsing the oriental foods section at wally world the other day looking for a sesame based sauce for something else and I found the rice flour there. I thought about the discussion in this thread, it was over a pound package for less than $3.00. I didn't have time to read the package thouroughly, but wondered is this the flour y'all have been looking for?
Old 02-19-2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by jbsstrawberry
Was browsing the oriental foods section at wally world the other day looking for a sesame based sauce for something else and I found the rice flour there. I thought about the discussion in this thread, it was over a pound package for less than $3.00. I didn't have time to read the package thouroughly, but wondered is this the flour y'all have been looking for?
I posted a little bit about rice flour earlier in the thread...it said its good for those on gluten-free diets.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:25 PM

Flying_V_Goddess you're the reason I thought of this thread when I saw the rice flour :D.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:36 PM

There are a number of things containing wheat that you wouldn't think does. For example, soy sauce. There is one brand that doesn't, but the name escapes me at the moment. For a decent alternative, tamari sauce does not contain wheat.

M
Old 02-19-2008, 06:02 PM

MissTreated,
you are correct, ketchup for example. The other thing you have to watch for is modified FOOD starch, modified corn starch is ok but food starch could be wheat.
When my husband was on the diet I realized that the ingredients on canned foods were not consistent, one time the food would be food starch & the next time the same food would have corn starch. It made for 2 hour grocery trips.
Anyone on this diet has my empathy.
Jo
Old 11-28-2009, 06:01 AM

I know this conversation is old, but after reading through I had to contribute.

I've been gluten free since 2004. Had the endoscopy to confirm Celiac. Yes, the diet is not any fun. It's like going to a neighborhood potluck and just sitting there and eating carrots and cauliflower... oh wait, that is what it is.

But I was sick for 4 years and they did not diagnose me correctly, eventually sending me to mental health (military healthcare). It was until after my husband retired, and I got a civilian doc that she saw the warning flags, tested me, and diagnosed me.

I miss pizza, good pizza. And I miss soft chewy bread and Cheez-its. But I found a cookbook --You Won't Believe It's Gluten-Free!: 500 Delicious, Foolproof Recipes for Healthy Living (Paperback) by Roben Ryberg. This is the greatest cookbook for gluten free, in my opinion. EASY recipes, EASY directions, and VERY good meals, desserts, crackers, breads, just about everything.

Quilting has been my release. I sew, sew, sew, and when I'm not sewing, I have to go to the local fabric store.

So even though I'm almost 2 years late in posting on this forum. I hope someone sees it.

It is a really good cookbook. And I hate to cook! :)