Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Anyone still use a bread machine? >

Anyone still use a bread machine?

Anyone still use a bread machine?

Old 03-07-2017, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

Default Anyone still use a bread machine?

I remember the store shelves use to have many brands of the bread machines. Now you can't find them.
I still use mine several times a week. I let the machine mix and knead the dough. I then take it out and put in bowl to rise, then shape to bake. I don't have time to knead properly and the bread machine kneads better then my hand anyway. I usually make an extra batch, freeze it after the first rise. Let thaw, shape and bake. Homemade bread is soooooo good. And I know exactly what goes in it. I add herbs, cheese, fruits or nuts to the dough. The grands love chocolate chips added to it. I have made some spectacular loafs never to be made again by experimenting. LOL I make the no knead rustic bread a lot too. And my old Visions glass dutch oven works great for baking that. If you see one of those at a yard sale scoop it up.

My basic recipe is
unbleached flour
salt (don't mix salt with the yeast)
warm water (112 degrees)
yeast

Mix, knead, rise. Deflate, shape, bake.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:04 PM

I do and I too use it to mix and knead the dough only! My machine is still good but when it breaks I am thinking of replacing it by a mixer that has a dough hook as I only need it for that operation after all.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:04 PM

I still use mine but let it go through the whole process all the way through baking. I use mine about 6 times a year. Not near as often as you. I love making bread in it.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:42 PM

My Mom has one and when I was last at home visiting (about 3years ago now!) she used hers several times a month. I have a Kitchen Aid Mixer with a hook that I use for kneading my dough. I still see bread machines in thrift stores regularly, so I guess they are still circulating! Thanks for sharing your recipe. I agree, nothing like homemade bread and the assurance of what is in it.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:46 PM

Several times a week! We make all our bread in the breadmaker, and usually eat sandwiches for lunch. I'll be honest and add that DH is the master bread maker.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

I have a big Kitchen Aid Pro with dough hook but the bread machine is more convenient and makes much less noise.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:56 PM

I use my bread machine to make pizza dough mostly. I have a hobart restaurant mixer to make bread with whole wheat flour. And yes, I got mine at a thrift store for $5.00.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

I make a loaf of bread at least once a week for the two of us. I have let the mixer mix just the dough, but find I have better traditionally made bread if I start from scratch...if I want several loaves, dinner rolls or cinnamon rolls I make it the old fashioned way.

Other than thrift shops does anyone know where to find a new one when mine decides to quit? I have a Black&Decker model now.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:45 PM

http://www.zojirushi.com/mailmagazine/101toppage.html
Old 03-07-2017, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I make a loaf of bread at least once a week for the two of us. I have let the mixer mix just the dough, but find I have better traditionally made bread if I start from scratch...if I want several loaves, dinner rolls or cinnamon rolls I make it the old fashioned way.

Other than thrift shops does anyone know where to find a new one when mine decides to quit? I have a Black&Decker model now.
Macy's has one: https://www.macys.com/shop/featured/bread-maker