Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Aquafaba Meringues...pretty good!

Aquafaba Meringues...pretty good!

I tried a recipe for aquafaba meringues last week. Actually, I tried them twice because my first attempt was a failure. The second time, however, they turned out fabulous! You would never guess that they were not made with eggs.

For those of you not yet familiar with aquafaba, it is the liquid that you usually pour out when you open a can of beans. I used garbanzo bean liquid, but you can use white beans, pintos, etc. I wanted them light colored, so that my meringues would come out white.

I think that the key to having success the second time was that I reduced the aquafaba by 1/3 by heating it on the stove, then allowing it to cool. (A tip that I read online.) I'm going to make these to bring to a ladies tea that I'm invited to. I hope that they all love them.

There are lots of recipes for aquafaba meringues online. I got mine from another new cookbook that I recently bought. If your interested and can't find a recipe, let me know and I'll post my interpretation of the recipe here.

~ C

I would love to know more about your recipe for aquafaba mringu. Sounds really interesting. I use a variety of canned beans quite often and would really like to give this a try. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    OMG This sounds really interesting. I have never heard of it.

You got my attention about using something we usually pour down the drain. Did a search and found this site with 30 recipes.
    http://www.naturallivingideas.com/aquafaba-uses/

Will be making some of the recipes for sure.
    Thank you for helping us all eat some neat healthy foods.

Aquafaba has been all the rage in the vegan world lately. It can substitute for eggs in many recipes, add substance to things like yogurt, homemade marshmellows, serve as a binder fore fake meats...it does all kinds of things. The reason that it can be whipped up is because it contains protein. Once it's cooked, you cannot tell it is from beans. It's really delicious!

You'll find all kinds of recipes online. Just do a search for, "Aquafaba." I'm using a meringue recipe from one of my new cookbooks, AQUAFABA, SWEET AND SAVORY VEGAN RECIPES MADE EGG-FREE WITH THE MAGIC OF BEAN WATER, by Zsu Dever.

~ C

Blog Entries
    Aquafaba is a great egg replacer in all kinds of baking. Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are usually used for the most neutral taste

A good idea to reduce the liquid a bit before using. Thanks for the tip.

Be kinder than you have to be.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    Aquafaba is a great egg replacer in all kinds of baking. Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are usually used for the most neutral taste

A good idea to reduce the liquid a bit before using. Thanks for the tip.

Be kinder than you have to be.
    peace
    Yes, I agree. I reduced my aquafaba by about 1/3 and that really helped stiffen up the meringues.

~ D

Blog Entries
    I can't get my head around it. the juice of canned beans turning into a good meringue.

I use black beans pureed in blender in chocolate cake mix instead of eggs and oil.
    deliberately under-educated

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I use black beans pureed in blender in chocolate cake mix instead of eggs and oil.
    My friend makes the most awesome brownies from black beans.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I can't get my head around it. the juice of canned beans turning into a good meringue.
    ..me neither! Who dreamed this up? I thought the liquid in most canned goods (beans/veggies) was basically salt water....I drain off and season as I wish.

i have never substituted beans for eggs/oil, or whatever, but then I am not a vegan......don't mean to offend those who are in that lifestyle, just amazed at the recreation of recipes.....

Black bean brownies are really good. You'd never know that there are beans in them and they're a little healthier to boot.

~ C.

One thing that I found out about aquafaba is that it doesn't keep for very long in the refrigerator....2-3 days, at best. After that, it starts to take on a slightly sour taste. It's probably still good to eat, but not so great for making meringues. I've read that you can put it into an icecube tray and freeze it for later use. I haven't tried that yet.

You can also use aquafaba from homemade beans. It's actually better because it has more structure and less salt. You just need to boil it down by 1/3, just like the canned version.

The ladies loved my meringues, although, I noticed that they didn't eat as many after I told them that they were made of aquafaba. Maybe they were worried about having gas...LOL. (I have NOT noticed that it causes gas, FYI.)

~ C