Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Baklava recipes >

Baklava recipes

Baklava recipes

Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 AM

Default Baklava recipes

I am looking for a good baklava recipe. Mine has been lost over the years
Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 PM

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...ipe/index.html Try this one from food network..hope it's what you need....
Old 06-02-2012, 08:42 AM

Here is a recipe that I have used for years:

3 cups walnuts (finely chopped)
1 cup almonds (finely chopped)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 cup sugar

Mix the above ingredients together

1 pound strudel leaves (fillo dough)
2 cups melted butter

Preheat oven to 350℉.
Place 5 fillo leaves in a 13 x 9 1/2 x 2 inch pan. Butter each as it is stacked.
Evenly sprinkle 5 heaping tablespoons of nut mixture. Place 2 leaves on top, brush with butter. Sprinkle 5 tablespoons of nut mixture. Repeat 4 times. Place remaining fillo on top buttering every second leaf (I only put 2 - 3 layers on top.
Trim edges with sharp knife.
Score top sheets into diamond shapes using “up and down” motion. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour. (Mine seems to take a lot less cooking time - check often). Turn off heat and let Baklava cool in oven. Pour hot syrup over cooled Baklava.

Syrup recipe is below:
Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
2 cups water 2 cups sugar
1 - 1 1/2 cups honey 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
Old 06-02-2012, 11:03 AM
T.

Thank you for the recipe. I like to eat it, but have never attempted it. I will try it as well.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:01 PM

I don't have a specific recipe (I lose them and go find another basic each time!) but every time I make it, I've learned that if I add some orange juice to the syrup and some finely grated orange peel to the nut mixture, I get a lot more compliments and some "OOOOH, this is different and so good!" comments.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:04 PM

www.allrecipes.com/baklava this one is authentic Greek using the honey and sugar. i would add orange zest and a bit of undiluted orange concentrate to the syrup to get a zing in the recipe. It is easy to make. just be sure to have a wide paint brush/pastry brush for putting the melted butter on each sheet of phyllo dough. the phyllo tears easily and is worse when it dries out so keep the dough you are going to put butter on, covered with a damp dish towel while you are working on constructing the layers of the baklava.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:10 PM

I got this recipe from two Greek ladies 25 or 30 years ago, who passed the recipe down from their mother. I have made it more times than I can count, and everybody loves it. I cut back on the butter now, and it is still very good.

Baklava
1 lb. Filo Dough
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 1/2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1 lb. Finely Chopped Nuts (walnuts, pecans, almond or pistachios)
1 1/2 Lbs. Unsalted Butter, Melted (I only use about 1 Lb.)

NOTE: For best results, thaw fillo in refrigerator for 24 hours before using. Do not thaw on counter, or try to use frozen!

Mix nuts, sugar and spices together. Grease large rectangular pan, 9"X13" or 11"x15", or bigger. (Fillo dough is usually 12x17 or 12x18). Open box of filo and unfold. Save 6 good filo for the top layers. Keep filo covered with a damp cloth while you are working with it so it does not dry out. Put 5 sheets of filo into pan, one layer at a time, brushing each layer generously with melted butter, before adding the next layer. After you have layered five fila, start sprinkling the nut mixture lightly from end to end, put the next layer down, brush with butter and sprinkle with nut mixture.

Continue doing this until all the nut mixture and all but the six reserved fila have been used. Add the six fila, one at a time brushing each one with melted butter as you go. (Do not add nut mixture to these last six layers of filo dough). Brush the top of the final fila with butter, and freeze for 15-20 minutes.

Take out of freezer. With a very sharp knife, cut Baklava all the way through. Cut lines at an angle, so you will have diamond shaped pieces. First, cut lines straight down the long sides of the pan, about 1-1/4" apart. Next, cut diagonal lines going across the pan to form diamond shaped pieces. Bake at 300º for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, until golden brown. Remove from oven, and immediately pour COOLED syrup over HOT Baklava. Leave in pan overnight to allow Baklava to absorb syrup. Cut again through first cutting lines for easy removal from pan. Store in covered container, or freeze. This freezes well.

Syrup:
3 Cups Sugar
1 Stick Cinnamon
1/8 Cup Honey
1-1/2 Cups Water
Juice Of 1/2 Lemon
As soon as Baklava goes into the oven, put all syrup ingredients into a sauce pan and cook about 20-25 minutes until medium, consistency. Pour syrup over baklava as soon as it comes out of the oven. NOTE: Be sure the syrup is started in time to cool before the Baklava is done. The syrup has to be cool.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:11 PM

I got my recipe from a Greek lady I worked with many years ago. It was fun to make and share with friends. I quit making it because quilting is less fattening. But oh, the memories. Have fun! I love the idea of adding the orange zest to the syrup - I love orange with nuts, or chocolate, or most anything.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

oh yummy, i used to buy them at a shop in the building where i worked years ago when still in Houston. double yummy!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:07 PM

I love Baklava!! But, if I make it I will eat it. So.... I can't

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!