Beet Relish  (By request) >

Beet Relish (By request)

Beet Relish (By request)

Old 09-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

BEET RELISH
4 pounds beets, cooked and peeled
4 large onions
3 large green peppers (I would use the red)
1 Tablespoon whole cloves
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vinegar (white)

Grind beets, onions, and peppers. Tie cloves in cheesecloth bag. In large kettle combine vegtables, clove bag, sugar, vinegar and 1/2 cup water, and 1 Tablespoon salt (the type with no iodine in it).

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove clove bag. Ladle into hot sterilized jars; leaving a 1.2 inch headspace. Adjust lids to just hand tight. Process in boiling hot water bath (half pints) 15 minutes (20 mins. in reno nv. ) Makes 13 half pints. Remove to kitchen terry towel in a space with no drafts. Examine lids after cooling to make sure it set up.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for sharing this with us :D:D:D
Old 09-20-2010, 08:09 AM

Sounds good
Old 09-22-2010, 08:55 PM

do you grow beets?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Hi Butterflywing! Of course I do not grow beets! You buy them at the market! My mother used to oil them and bake them in the oven until soft (like a potato). But you can roast them or boil them.

I did find a trick that is way cool though. When you are cutting up green onions for a salad, cut the tip about a little larger than a quarter inch where the roots are and stick them into the gorund. They regrow themselves. You can even keep a pot of these in your kitchen. So easy and you are never without an onion.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:07 AM

silly me. let me rephrase that. do YOU grow BEETS?????

and that's a terrific tip. i intend to try it out the next time i get scallions. do you call them that, too? i usually substitute chives, but that's a poor sub.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:41 AM

I do grow beets - just picked some last week and still have a few left in the garden. I never baked them before - I'll have to try it. I've always boiled them. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:48 AM

when you slip off the skins, be sure to wear rubber gloves or your hands will be beet-red for the rest of your natural life.

my daughter used to do that. now she buys them in cans. :mrgreen: with age, comes wisdom.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dream56
I do grow beets - just picked some last week and still have a few left in the garden. I never baked them before - I'll have to try it. I've always boiled them. Thanks for the tip.
Your so welcome dream 56. They are really good that way. She baked them low and slow as she used to say. It is the difference between baked potaoes and boiled. Lots more flavor and it brings out the sweetness.

Butterflywing!! Girl I love your sense of humor. No I don't grow beets! But if I did, I would cook the leaves like greens and eat them! I just love gardening, but I don't have any veggies in this year besides the tomatoes and green peppers. We put every single plant and landscaping into our yard. It was fun, but, I wouldn't want to do it again.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:45 AM

we always has a big veggie garden until about 10 years ago when we bumped down in house and yard size. we grew tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, beans, radishes and green and yellow summer squashes as staples and experimented with brussel sprouts, corn, winter squash and melons and whatever else looked like fun. one year potatoes. on the greens side, we always did several lettuces, basil, dill, chives, parsley, marjoram, tarragon and i always have a rosemary bush. now we just have some tomatoes being eaten by the squirrels, peppers that don't get large, dill that yellows out. the rosemary bush is terrific. the sage i pulled because i don't really like it. dh grows not anise, but the one that tastes like it. like licorice. so now we have very little in the way of veggies and no beets.

i have to admit i don't miss the work involved in the summer heat. each year it gets hotter and my tolerance gets lower.
we did, however, landscape the entire yard around the perimeter as soon as we moved in and that was worth it now, 10 years later when it's all matured.

on a side note, i love beets.