Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Brussell Sprouts

Brussell Sprouts

I was watching a tv program this morning and they were preparing brussell sprouts but I didn't get the whole recipe. Does someone out there have a recipe using onions, garlic, brussel l sprouts and whatever other ingredients that you like? Please share if you do. Thanks

I believe Pioneer woman just had a recipe.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...d-cranberries/

Not exactly the ingredients you were looking for, but, maybe a start with some change of ingredients?

That sounds delicious. Going to try them soon. Thanks for posting the link.

One of my favorite snacks is a bowl of heated brussel sprouts sprinkled with blue cheese!

Blog Entries
    I saute onion, garlic, red pepper flakes in olive oil, then add sprouts which have been cut in half and steamed for a couple of minutes to the pan. Saute until they start to brown a little. Add salt to taste. My 7 year old grandson and his parents would not normally touch brussel sprouts until I started doing them this way.

A friend of mine steams the Brussels sprouts til just tender, drains them and while still warm, pours on Newman's italian salad dressing with lime to marinate, then serves them chilled. They are scrumptious this way.

i saute them in olive oil, with crushed garlic, sea salt, pepper, over medium high heat. when they start to brown, i add either sesame seeds or sliced almonds, and let them heat a bit. the kids who hated them now love to have them with dinner. (i think the secret is getting the "haresky" leaves off the outer layer, and eating the more tender, tastier ones --make sure you trim the bottom of the stem area, too. i cut them in half, from top to bottom before i cook them.)
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

Quote Originally Posted by phyllvog View Post
    I saute onion, garlic, red pepper flakes in olive oil, then add sprouts which have been cut in half and steamed for a couple of minutes to the pan. Saute until they start to brown a little. Add salt to taste. My 7 year old grandson and his parents would not normally touch brussel sprouts until I started doing them this way.
    This sounds really good to. Thanks

I usually steam mine and while they are cooking I melt butter and mix into some crushed crackers until all butter is absorbed. Sprinkle on sprouts and they are so good. They are also wonderful just steamed.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

I have always loved sprouts, we add a little apple cider vinegar MMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

Power Poster
    I love my brussel sprout straight with just butter and salt and pepper. To prepare brussel sprouts I trim the stem end and remove any discoloured or shreaded outer leaves. I cut each sprout in half and rinse them well in the strainer. I put them in the steamer basket in a pot of water and steam until tender. NOTE: a lot of people cook their sprouts whole. I don't like doing it that way because they can get over cooked and occasionally you will get sprouts that have been harvested in the rain. If they are harvested in the rain, you may find a couple of moldy leaves in the center of a sprout. If you cut them in half before cooking, they cook faster and you don't get any nasty surprises.

Blog Entries

The Pioneer Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I believe Pioneer woman just had a recipe.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...d-cranberries/

Not exactly the ingredients you were looking for, but, maybe a start with some change of ingredients?
    If you like to read and you haven't read The Pioneer Woman by Ree Drummond, I recommend it highly. It's very intertaining and funny. Reminded me of I Love Lucy shows - so funny. Wish I personally knew this woman.
    Last edited by Jackie R; 04-22-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    We like them simple, with cheese sauce and NO ONIONS/GARLIC.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

Blog Entries
    I'm with you. No garlic pollution. Just the classic taste of the sprouts without adulteration.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phyllvog View Post
    This is more or less what I do also but without the onion, garlic and red pepper. OK, so it's just the method not the ingredients that I do. However, it seems to take out any bitterness that the sprouts might have. I have also roasted them but I like the former method better. My dh and middle son used to fight over the sprouts while the other two kids where not so interested in them. Me, I can take them or leave them but much prefer them cooked this way.

Just realized that I live just east of you phyllyog.
    Last edited by KLO; 04-23-2012 at 10:06 AM.

My son, the chef, cleans and trims the sprouts, cuts them in half and par cooks them. In another pan he frys a couple of slices of bacon til crisp....remove bacon....chop onion fine....about 3 T - depends on how many you have. cook onion til barely browned in the bacon drippings.....then placed drained, par cooked sprouts into frying pan saute with onions til desired doneness (!) a little salt and pepper. Even confirmed Brussel Sprout haters ate these and loved them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thenonnielady View Post
    My son, the chef, cleans and trims the sprouts, cuts them in half and par cooks them. In another pan he frys a couple of slices of bacon til crisp....remove bacon....chop onion fine....about 3 T - depends on how many you have. cook onion til barely browned in the bacon drippings.....then placed drained, par cooked sprouts into frying pan saute with onions til desired doneness (!) a little salt and pepper. Even confirmed Brussel Sprout haters ate these and loved them.
    We were at Sam's Wholesale Club yesterday and one of the tasting stations was cooking up something very similar to your recipe except he also added asparagus to it and just sauted it all in a fry pan until barely done - they used one of their specialty spice combinations. Delicious!

Power Poster
    Love brussell sprouts just heard on dr oz eat them 2 timesa week to clean your liver
    QUILTNMO

I roast my brussel sprouts and then put some balsamic on. I love Brussel Sprouts, so do the kids thankfully.