Buttermilk Biscuits

Old 01-24-2008, 01:30 PM

Buttermilk Biscuits

1/2 cup (one stick) cold butter
2-1/4 cups self-rising soft-wheat (or white) flour
1-1/4 cups buttermilk
Flour for dusting
2 Tbsp. melted butter*

1. Cut butter with a sharp knife into 1/4-inch thick slices. Sprinkles slices over flour in a large bowl. Toss butter with flour. Cut butter into flour with a pastry blender until crumbly. Cover and chill 10 minutes. Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix.

2. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead lightly 3 or 4 times, gradually adding additional flour as needed. With floured hands, pat dough into rectangle, and fold dough like a letter-size piece of paper. Repeat folding process a few times, then press or pat dough in 1/2-inch thickness. Don't overwork the dough. Cut with a 2-inch round cutter and place side by side, on a parchment paper-lined or lighted greased cookie sheet. (Dough rounds should touch.)

3. Bake at 450 degrees for 13 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven; brush with 2 Tbsp. melted butter (optional).

*optional

My notes: Sometimes I don't do the dough folding and the results are about the same. I also forget to chill the dough and don't normally put melted butter on them after baking.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:20 AM

I love biscuits......my reciepe is similar, only i use shortening, baking powder amd milk.........leave out the shortening and drop on hot stew yum