Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cake balls >

Cake balls

Cake balls

Old 03-15-2009, 05:01 AM

We've all had cakes to stick to the pans when we try to take them out...but then what do you do with the cake if it's ruined?
Make cake balls.
Let the cake cool, trim off the edges and crumble into fine pieces. Mix in a can of icing, shape into balls and place on wax paper. Freeze balls for about an hour then dip in melted chocolate coating.
Red velvet or carrot cake/cream cheese icing....german chocolate cake/pecan icing...strawberry cake/dark chocolate icing are some suggestions.
A popular fund raiser in our area are cake walks or cake auctions. Instead of donating individual cakes....make several different cakes and mix the balls in containers for a variety. They sell like hot cakes bringing top dollar.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cake-Balls/Detail.aspx
Old 03-15-2009, 07:46 AM

I remember a bakery years ago used to add rum to the cake and make these fist-sized cake balls, always a surprise, and always delicious!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:58 AM

This is also a good way to use up your crumbs from when you level off the top of the cake or are cutting it to make a certain shape.

Instead of mixing icing in with the crumbs, you can add your favorite flavored coffee creamer. Depending on how many crumbs you have, you add until you get a good consistency that sticks together and forms a good ball.

Melted white chocolate to dip in. ;)
Old 03-18-2009, 11:18 AM

When I did cakes I would use all my leftover cake by adding water instead of milk in cooked lemon pudding. I family and friends loved when I had to do a big wedding.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:27 PM

We call these cake pops and make them in different shapes and decorate them. My daughter is going to make them for her daughter's birthday party instead of a conventional cake.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:29 AM

When you make the cake balls - do you always use pre-mixed frosting or can you make your own..... never really liked the pre-mixed.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by scrap quilter
When you make the cake balls - do you always use pre-mixed frosting or can you make your own..... never really liked the pre-mixed.
I don't see any reason you can't make your own frosting...the purpose of the frosting is to hold the cake crumbs together.