Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Calico Beans >

Calico Beans

Calico Beans

Old 09-07-2009, 01:46 PM

With fall on the doorstep, my thoughts turned to some of our favorite recipes. I thought I'd post a few you might want to try as the weather turns colder -- although many of these we eat year-round! Case in point is this recipe for Calico Beans -- we use this recipe all the time.

Calico Beans

This is a nice change from regular baked beans. It’s our favorite potluck dish and a regular for our cookouts and casual entertaining. We even use it for a main dish with hot cornbread on a cold winter evening. It is the ONLY way my family will eat lima beans…they even request this dish!

• 6 slices bacon
• ½ lb. lean hamburger
• ½ cup chopped onion
• ½ cup brown sugar
• 1 t. mustard
• ½ cup onion
• 1 t. salt (optional)
• 2 t. vinegar
• One 15-16 oz. can of red kidney bean (drained)
• One 15-16 oz. can of lima beans (drained)
• One 15-16 oz. can of large butter beans (undrained, include juice)
• One 15-16 oz. can of favorite baked beans (undrained, include juice) NOTE: I usually use a 28-oz can of the baked beans

Brown the chopped bacon, set aside. Lightly brown the onions, set aside. Brown hamburger and drain off grease very well (I pat with paper towel to remove as much as possible). In a Dutch oven, large casserole dish or crock pot, combine remaining ingredients. Add meat. Cooking options: bake 350 degree oven for 45 minutes; or simmer on top of stove for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure it is not sticking; or put in crock pot as long as you need. Freeze leftovers in smaller batches to add to a quick meal.

VARIATION NOTES: If I could not find canned lima beans, I have used frozen. Also, a can of black beans (be sure to rinse and drain) can be substituted for any of the beans except the baked beans. For vegetarian meal, omit the meat.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Sounds delicous