Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: can I?

can I?

I have used my supply of chocolate chips but have come across a recipe for buckeyes--peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate. I have a package of chocolate almond bark. Can I use that for dipping the peanut butter balls or will I have problems with doing that?

Blog Entries
    I don't see why you couldn't. Let us know.
    Nikki in MO

I have seen one recipe that mentions adding a bit of paraffin if using chocolate chips as it gives the chocolate a bit of coating "power" and a sheen. But I don't know if this would help with the bark. Maybe make it too slick to stick??

bark is perfect for dipping, and normally works better than using chips. I like to use both the dark and white bark for coating candies.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

I have used melted bark for coating pretzels so I think it would work with peanut butter balls as well. Let us know how it works out.

It will work fine, I often use the bark instead of chips. Both have a wax in them so they work the same.

I use the bark all the time on my buckeyes.
    granna of 5

I use it also for my Buckeyes

We used to always use almond bark to dip our almonds and pretzels....both the white and the chocolate bark. Worked great. We also realized using the slow cooker to melt the chocolate was the way to go instead of using a double boiler on the stove. Why didn't we think of that years ago?
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I do it all the time and won’t go back! It’s so much easier....

It will be fine. I usually use the Merkins wafers rather than chocolate chips I think they taste better

There was request for how it worked and it worked very well. I melted the bark in a small crockpot so that it was "deep" instead of a more shallow layer of chocolate. I was impressed with how nicely the bark clung to the buckeyes without dripping. What was left, I poured out into a thin layer on waxed paper, sprinkled a few nuts on it, then broke it into pieces sort of like toffee or peanut brittle. Works for me! Thank you to all who responded.

It will work fine.

When I moved to Ohio someone gave me the recipe and when I saw the word wax I thought there was some mistake!
    But I was wrong.

I've been trying to find out just how much parafin do you put into the chocolate? Years and years ago, I used to do that, but have forgot how much to use! The parafin seals the chocolate so that it keeps what's inside fresh and does not melt in your hand.

With the peanut butter, I'd be sure to chill the peanut butter balls before dipping it into the chocolate. The fat in the peanut butter may melt a little and get a little gooey.
    Penny

Quote Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
    I've been trying to find out just how much parafin do you put into the chocolate? Years and years ago, I used to do that, but have forgot how much to use! The parafin seals the chocolate so that it keeps what's inside fresh and does not melt in your hand.

With the peanut butter, I'd be sure to chill the peanut butter balls before dipping it into the chocolate. The fat in the peanut butter may melt a little and get a little gooey.
    My original recipe from back in the mid/late 60's was 1 inch of paraffin. I don't know we ever used that much after the first time. When I switched to chocolate discs I stopped using it altogether

The paraffin is used as an easier way to prevent the chocolate from melting versus tempering the chocolate. However, you can temper it easily. There are some great you tube videos and you wont have that waxy taste.