Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Chicken Cobbler >

Chicken Cobbler

Chicken Cobbler

Old 05-12-2023, 05:23 AM

Default Chicken Cobbler

Good Morning America posted this recipe to their website after demonstrating it. Reminds me of chicken pot pie. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to make it.
Chicken cobbler
Ingredients

1 rotisserie chicken (or 2-3 chicken breasts), shredded
12-ounce bag of frozen peas and carrots (or your choice of vegetable)
2 cups Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuit mix
2 cups milk
2 cups chicken stock
10.5-ounce can cream of chicken soup
1 stick butter

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Place butter in a 9-by-13-inch pan and melt in the oven as it preheats.

Once melted add chicken and spread out into an even layer.

Pour the frozen vegetables over the top. Season any way you like. At this point, you can add shredded cheese if you want.

Mix together the milk and biscuit mix along with the seasoning packet that came with it. If preferred, add garlic and onion powder (or any other seasoning you like).

Pour the biscuit mix over the chicken and vegetables -- but do not mix!

Whisk together the stock and cream of chicken soup, and pour over the top. Again, do not mix!

Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. It is going to look runny, but let it sit for at least 10 to 15 minutes. The sauce will thicken to a gravy consistency.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:31 AM

I really thought soup recipes went out in the 50's I love the small frozen Marie Callender pot pies, they are very reasonable at costco...except the calories, 610!! Nope, don't go there anymore!
Old 05-12-2023, 07:57 AM

Sounds like a great recipe for a rainy day spent quilting, thanks!
Old 05-12-2023, 08:55 AM

Not having access to, nor ever used Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuit mix, these instructions intrigue me -

"Mix together the milk and biscuit mix along with the seasoning packet that came with it. If preferred, add garlic and
onion powder (or any other seasoning you like).

Pour the biscuit mix over the chicken and vegetables -- but do not mix!"

I've only ever used Bisquick and once mixed it is like dough, certainly not pourable. Not sure how I'd substitute this ingredient but I like the idea of a recipe in which everything is pretty much thrown together that cooks up nicely.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

I use the Chicken Pot pie recipe from the back of the Bisquick box for the dough topping. The dough is pourable and bakes up fluffy. I bake it in a big cast iron skillet, two cans of cream of chicken soup and frozen mixed vegetables, left over chicken or rotisserie chicken. Fast and easy. I use the dough topping for a lot of different casseroles.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:31 PM

I make a mean Chicken Pot Pie from scratch. Cook the chicken with onions and celery. Save the stock for the gravy. Cook the potatoes, make the gravy and add mixed vegetables. Top with puff pastry and bake.

I’ll try the short-cut version.
Old 05-13-2023, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I've tried different brands of 'better for you' condensed soups but Campbell's always won in the taste so I use Campbells. I tried making my own condensed soup for the from scratch version. I use to make from scratch chicken pot pie. I thought do I want to spend hours making a simple pot pie? My answer was no.
Old 05-14-2023, 04:58 AM

Since DH went Keto, I changed up the old Campbells Chicken pot pie recipe. Sauteed onions, garlic and celery, more veggies, including chopped raw broccoli, a couple of hand fulls of shredded cheese, chopped left over chicken (usually about two leg quarters worth) and of course, the soup. Cream of chicken soup is 3 times the price of Cream of Mushroom so the latter wins in my book. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Our Dollar store had Bisquick packets that make 6 biscuits. I will make half a packet for myself and DH has his almond flour cheese biscuits. It is a go-to on cold wet days.