Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Christmas Yule Log?  Anyone?  Please? >

Christmas Yule Log? Anyone? Please?

Christmas Yule Log? Anyone? Please?

Old 12-15-2008, 03:09 PM

Okay I've been watching way to much Christmas food prep tv! I'd really like to make a Yule Log. They are so pretty! But seem so time intensive? If I spend too much time on my feet this holiday my DH will have a fit at me (and my foot too for that matter).

I saw one on "Almost Homemade" where she started with a chocolate creme roll. Has anyone tried one of those store bought style?

Do you make it? From Scratch? How much work is it really? Most people stand and cook, I have to sit, will that be a problem to make it your way or should I just go almost homemade?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a clue Elizabeth. Don't you hate it when you get some idea and just can't seem to move on?? I'm there with candy making right now...Chocolate covered cherries today along with Almost berry Bon Bons....tomorrow I'll be dipping all of those plus making a batch of cookies and some pecan turtles. I'm sure I'll come up with something else that I just HAVE to make :roll:

Good luck with the yule log though..sorry I can't help you.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:34 PM

I have made them although my daughter is the expert in our family. It is just a cake that is baked really thin and rolled while it is still warm then allowed to cool. Unroll and fill with cream stuff and reroll then decorate.

Do you want the recipe or do you have one? It isn't a lot of standing at one time.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:38 PM

Elizabeth...Expert Village has several videos to watch on making the Yule logs.
Here's the link if anyone is interested.
http://www.expertvillage.com/video-s...20_yulelog.htm

Here's Betty Crockers recipe if you opt for the easy way.
(Yule Log) Recipe

Ingredients:
1 pkg (510 g) Betty Crocker* SuperMoist Cake Mix (any flavour)
water, vegetable oil, eggs, called for on cake mix box
icing sugar
1 cup (250 mL) whipping cream
2 tbsp (25 mL) granulated sugar
1 tub (450 g) Betty Crocker* Creamy Deluxe* Frosting or (340 g) Whipped Frosting (any chocolate or vanilla flavour)
1 tsp (5 mL) cocoa powder
1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped green pistachio nuts
Method:
Heat oven to 375°F (190°C) for shiny metal pan or 350°F (180°C) for dark or non-stick baking pan. Line 17x12x1-inch (30x43x2.5 cm) baking pan with edges (jelly roll pan) with parchment paper.
Prepare cake mix as directed on package. Pour batter into pan; spread batter to all corners, giving pan a few taps to level batter.
Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Place on cooling rack for 5 minutes.
Invert pan onto another sheet of parchment paper or tea towel sprinkled with icing sugar. Carefully remove parchment that cake has been baked in.
While hot, carefully roll cake and parchment lengthwise into a long roll. Cool on cooling rack for at least 30 minutes.
In chilled, medium bowl, beat cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Unroll cake (if it cracks, don't worry - nothing will show once roll is frosted). Spread whipped cream filling over cake. Roll up cake using parchment to help. Chill until firm at least one hour.
For tree stumps, cut off a 2-inch (5 cm) diagonal slice from one end of rolled cake. Attach stump to one long side using 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of frosting.
Frost cake with remaining frosting. With tines of fork, make strokes in frosting to look like tree bark. Garnish with nuts.
Makes 12 servings

Old 12-15-2008, 07:39 PM

Sandra Lee's Version: If anyone is interested.

Chocolate Yule Log

Prep Time: 20 min
Easy Serves:
8 to 10 servings

Cake:
1 pre-made chocolate jelly roll cake
Filling and frosting:
1 (16-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cocoa powder, for dusting

Forest Mushrooms:
10 miniature marshmallows
10 chocolate kiss candies, unwrapped
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar

Special Equipment: 10 toothpicks

Lay cake on a clean work surface. Mix the whipped topping and vanilla extract together until combined. Spread white frosting over the top of the cake to coat completely. Roll up the cake, jelly-roll style, and then cover the outside of the cake with the frosting. Drag a fork along the length of the cake to form a bark design. Dust with cocoa powder and refrigerate.
For the forest mushrooms, insert 1 toothpick through each marshmallow and then into the flat side of the chocolate kiss to form "mushroom." Group chocolate mushrooms along cake by inserting toothpicks into surface of cake, at intervals to resemble growths of forest mushrooms. Dust chocolate kiss candies with confectioners' sugar. Slice and serve.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:21 AM

Thanks! Christmas Eve is here at my house, so I've got to get the shopping list together. :)
Old 12-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Oh...sounds great...what time should I be there???? :mrgreen:
Old 12-18-2008, 11:26 AM

Can I come too? :D :D :D

Happy Holidays,
Cheryl
Old 12-26-2008, 10:32 PM

Well how did your Yule Log come out? In the culinary world thay are called Bouche de Noel. Here's one I made to look like a birch log. Sorry I didn't see this thread until after Christmas. I only bake from scratch, but it's just as easy & quick as mixes to me.

Birch Bouche de Noel with meringue mushrooms.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21907[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-21907.jpe  
Old 12-27-2008, 05:49 AM

Beautiful! I didn't make one. :( I'm not supposed to be on my feet, and it was quite difficult for me to deliver on what I'd promised the family.