Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cold main dish for this Friday's kids soccer group potluck? HELP >

Cold main dish for this Friday's kids soccer group potluck? HELP

Cold main dish for this Friday's kids soccer group potluck? HELP

Old 11-17-2016, 01:32 PM

I put a very thin layer of butter on the wrap or flatbread, then a large romaine lettuce leaf before the chicken salad. The young man I cook lunch for doesn't eat both wraps the same day, so the lettuce keeps the mayo from soaking into the wrap. The lettuce doesn't get soggy if it's patted dry. I use dried cherries or cranberries instead of grapes in chicken salad for sandwiches. His has pecans, too, but kids might not care for that.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

What a great ideas! I will do the walking taco another time as I just bought a big bag of corn chips but I agree I think they would really like that too as well as some adults.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I put a very thin layer of butter on the wrap or flatbread, then a large romaine lettuce leaf before the chicken salad. The young man I cook lunch for doesn't eat both wraps the same day, so the lettuce keeps the mayo from soaking into the wrap. The lettuce doesn't get soggy if it's patted dry. I use dried cherries or cranberries instead of grapes in chicken salad for sandwiches. His has pecans, too, but kids might not care for that.
I was wondering both about using a little butter and replacing the grapes with raisins or cranberries. I will make this for my family as for now I am all set with the taco salad. Pecans or walnuts sounds yummy to me but my kids don't like it either. tough luck. LOL They'll be in it as will be some mustard. I will use left over turkey for this recipe. I just had lunch how can I already crave food again.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:09 PM

I found some cherry flavored dried cranberries. Same price as dried cranberries and no added chemicals. Yummy.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:45 PM

It needs to b kid friendly, do kids like 3 bean salad?? not my kids or grandkids, i bet a taco salad and u could also take nacho chips to use with it, oh wait, how long before they eat, i dont know if the meat could set out very long. hmmmm
Old 11-20-2016, 11:04 AM

I assume that if you have a cold dish in mind, you'll have a way to keep things cold. I always make a chicken salad. I buy a bag of precooked cubed chicken, bread cubes, shredded Swiss cheese, finely chopped onion and celery, and mix in mayonaise. You can vary the propotions to fit your needs. It can also be heated up and served hot.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by plainpat View Post
I used this recipe and it was a great success. I also made my own catalina dressing to go in it saving a couple dollars. It was very easy to make and everyone raved about it.

http://www.food.com/recipe/clone-kra...dressing-44124

Thank you for all your help.