Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cookies baking soda or baking powder

Question Cookies baking soda or baking powder

I read some where and I can't find the article that one of the two
    either BS or BP if used makes a softer cookie. Has anyone heard of
    this or knows which makes a softer cookie?????
    Thanks a bunch
    eunice
    "BIG SKY COUNTRY"

Blog Entries
    I went on line and entered "does BS or BP make softer cookies?" The answer was rather lengthy and I would have copied it and sent it to you if I knew how to do this. You can put in the same thing I did and read it for yourself. It did say that wether a cookie rises or not depends on the leaving agent, type of fats and sugar Also, things that are added like chocolate chips, etc. Wish I could have been more help. Good Luck. Lucy

Power Poster
    ​Baking soda helps cookies brown. Baking soda makes cookies puff so I would think baking powder?

Blog Entries
    I think I need to go bake a few now. see what you started

More butter can help to make the cookies softer.
    ........ plus of course, improve the flavour!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    The Anzac Biscuit recipe calls for Corn Syrup. They are a oatmeal coconut cookie that is nice and chewy.

Baking Soda is the leavening agent in them
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Shortning makes a softer moister cookie while butter makes it dryer and more crisp. I like the butter flavor better though.
    Anna Quilts

Baking soda may leave a bad after taste if the other ingredients don't balance it out. If you ever accidentally use the wrong one, you will know. Cream of tartar is the extra leavening in snickerdoodles and is an ingredient in baking powder.

Baking powder makes the cookies rise. If you use something acidic in your cookies, baking soda takes out the bite.

if you put a slice of bread in the container with your cookies after there baked it keeps them softer, the bread slice will get hard as a rock , it sounds silly but it works , I've been doing it for yrs. happy baking ,

I'm with Lynnie!!
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Blog Entries
    When I make chocolate chip cookies I use shortening instead of butter. Makes them soft. Don't like hard cookies.

I sat in on an Anna Olson demonstration at the Plowing Match recently and her explanation of the difference between BP and BS was that although they are both used as a rising agent BS reacts immediately upon meeting with the liquid ingredients and BP has a more prolonged reaction time and therefore is needed in recipes with longer baking times. I know this doesn't answer the softer cookie question but it was information that I found interesting :-)
    Lori - MamaBear

Blog Entries
    Banking powder will give you a softer and fatter cookie.

Shortening makes cookies softer, doesn't take too much either.

Blog Entries
    Baking powder makes the cookies softer. My sugar cookie recipe called for both, and the cookies were soft, not crispy like I wanted. Next time I left out the BP and had nice crisp sugar cookies and I never made them any other way again.I wasn't smart enough to do that on my own, my Mom told me!LOL

I always use self rising flour that way I don't have that baking soda taste to my cookies. I also always take my cookies out a few minutes sooner than the recipe calls for since my husband likes soft cookies. Especially peanut butter cookies..
    Lise

My mom always used to put more flour in to make a softer, higher cookie.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassiemae View Post
    I read some where and I can't find the article that one of the two
    either BS or BP if used makes a softer cookie. Has anyone heard of
    this or knows which makes a softer cookie?????
    Thanks a bunch
    eunice
    I have no answer for you, but I learned by accident ( lost count, I can be such a dufus...), that if you add an extra egg to the recipe, it makes most cookies more cake like. I tried it in peanut butter cookies, and found to my surprise that it made them chewy instead of crumbly. I use an extra egg in brownies also, even if I use a mix. The brownies are more cake like, and still real moist.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I read somewhere (Woman's Day) adding instant pudding to the cookie dough and a quarter cup of oil made a softer cookie, plumper, too, so I have always done that since. Love the results. A number of the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt group that continued on into Pony Club on the BOM site of QB could tell you how much they loved my Chocolate Cowboy Cookies last Christmas. Flattery might even get them a repeat this year! I believe I sent five kinds of cookies out, and that one was the most popular one.

My DGM always folded in a teaspoon of baking soda and a teaspoon of vinegar into her mix just before putting the cookies or cake into the oven to make it rise faster and better.

Baking powder is a leavening agent. Baking soda is not by itself, but add cream of tartar and it is -- or if you use a sour product (buttermilk or soured milk).

As for making the cookie softer -- that depends on the recipe and ingredients you have to work with. Several ideas already listed work (extra egg for drop cookies), but it's also good to check the recipe to know if you should sift the flour or not. It may not be a choice of BP vs. BS Hey, if the cookie is too hard, have a cuppa coffee or glass of milk with it. It's the taste that counts!

Blog Entries
    Years ago i taught cooking to 6th and 7th graders. One girl brought me a cookie to taste because it didn't seem right. One bite and my mouth puckered up like crazy. She had used a quarter of a cup of baking soda instead of a quarter tsp. wooohoooo, will never make that mistake again! Lolololol !
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    oh sounds like we need a thread with just cookie recipes...

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    Shortning makes a softer moister cookie while butter makes it dryer and more crisp. I like the butter flavor better though.
    I sometimes use half shortening and half butter. The best of both worlds.

I was a baker in my earlier years & always used half regular sugar & half brown sugar when I made soft cookies.I just used the same amount my recipe called for & used half of each.Also if you want crisper cookies DO NOT use brown sugar.Chocolate chip is really good crisp,Kinda like a bakery cookie.