Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Crockpot roasted chicken >

Crockpot roasted chicken

Crockpot roasted chicken

Old 01-30-2020, 02:38 AM

Default Crockpot roasted chicken

I'm wanting instructions/method for baking a whole chicken in the crockpot. I've made it only once -several years ago-it was delicious. All I can remember is that the whole chicken had to rest on crumpled foil or a small bowl turned upside down so the chicken disn't touch bottom. It results in a roasted chicken like you can grab at Walmart or other stores. Cannot remember where I got the orig recipe. Does anyone know what I'm seeking? Thanks so much for reading.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:02 AM

Lots of recipes on the internet. just do a search. this is one of many https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/slow-...whole-chicken/
Old 01-30-2020, 05:06 AM

Oh, thx, but I found the recipe. I will season my chicken, refrigerate overnite, and cook tomorrow. We (2 of us) will have meals over the wkend. I found the instructions here, except it doesn't mention the upside down bowl to keep out of the drippings. https://www.familyfreshmeals.com/201...-crockpot.html
Old 01-30-2020, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

Mermaid ... I've done chicken this way. Instead of the crumpled foil balls, I use one dish upside down that fits in my crock and holds the chicken up out of the juices that come while cooking.

Another possibility are onions for the flavour benefits. However, whenever I used veggies, I found that as they shifted and shrunk, they sometimes would send the chicken offside and down into the juices. Depending on how "fat" your chicken is, those juices just become a fatty sludgy mess ... IOW you don't want to eat the bird or the veggies after sitting in it.

A real simple version ... I just pour some BBQ sauce over the top of the bird, and plop on the lid ... and let the cauldron do its thing!!! While it cooks ... enjoy a sewing day, with a wonderful meal to come, with hardly any work to it!

Dang it ... I just did grocery shopping today and now you have me wishing I had got a bird!
Oh well, there is always next trip ..... *sigh*
Old 01-30-2020, 01:59 PM

I've made it many times & I use the wadded up alum. foil balls for the bottom of the crockpot. After cleaning/washing the chicken I spray chicken inside & out with olive oil spray & then sprinkle the chicken really good with Lawry's Seasoned Salt inside & outside. It always turns out delicious. Here's a recipe that I use. I can't remember if I sprayed my crockpot with olive oil spray or not but I think I did.

https://www.food.com/recipe/crock-po...chicken-158665
Old 01-31-2020, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

These recipes are making me hungry. I am going to try this weekend.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:13 AM

I've had good luck cooking a turkey breast in a crock pot. I rest it on a bed of carrots and celery which are limp and lifeless after cooking so I just discard them. They really do help to season the meat, though. I'm going to try a whole chicken - sounds great!
Old 02-02-2020, 04:20 AM

Oh, thank you for this idea and the links. DH and I are always looking for something different during the winter months to try, we tend to run into a brick wall come mid winter. It seems to be the same ol thing during the winter. I've never done one these, so this I will be trying.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:53 AM

Thanks for the foil method; will definately try it. Hubby and I have been on low carb diet for months, eating lots of chicken thighs cooked in crock pot. I change it up by using different Campbell's Cream of ....(mushroom, chicken with herbs, shrimp..) I use half a can of Campbell's spread in bottom of crock pot, then place 4-5 skinless chicken thighs. Start in morning, ready for lunch.

Furthermore, I used Cream of Shrimp for pot roast once-now a staple!