Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Drying cranberries >

Drying cranberries

Drying cranberries

Old 11-19-2011, 06:02 AM

Default Drying cranberries

I have a dehydrator but don't have the booklet anymore....does anyone know what to do about dehydrating cranberries in the dehydrator and about how long it takes? I did a search but a block swap came up...any info would be appreciated....thanks in advance Janice
Old 11-19-2011, 06:25 AM

I just looked in my dehydrator booklet and it doesn't specifically mention cranberries. I am curious about this too because I love the purchased ones and would like to duplicate them. I will be watching this incase any one has tried this.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:00 AM

I think I read that they have to be cut in half or chopped because the skin is so thick.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:32 AM

According to the queen of dehydrating Deana DeLong, she says cranberries do best when they're soaked in a sugar solution (glace) over a period of a few days. If not soaked, dip in boiling water to crack the skins. Dry at 130-140 degrees until dry. They should be shriveled with no sign of moisture. Sugared cranberries should be leathery and a little sticky. She doesn't say how long this should take but from my experience this all depends on yur dehydrator and the humidity when drying. Some of my drying has taken far longer than she said it would.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:56 PM

In my dehydrator book it says that cranberries and blueberries have a waxy coating and need to be "crazed". I remember that meaning dipping into boiling water to split the skin. You might do a search on the net. I want to try it myself and blueberries too since sugar is added to the commercial dried fruit.
Lynda
Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 PM

I dry seedless grapes all the time to make my own super delicious raisins (big, juicy, yummy) and all you have to do is "craze" them (make microscopic cracks in the skin by plunging them in boiling water for 30 seconds).

Cranberries are sour so they need a sweetening treatment before drying. My handbook had nothing so I looked it up for you and found a couple of links to instructions.

http://www.cranberries.org/cranberri...pes_dried.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_4898803_make...ehydrator.html
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/snacks/r/driedcran.htm

Good luck!