Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • food dehydrators >
  • food dehydrators

• food dehydrators

Old 05-11-2020, 05:18 AM

I have been dehydrating and canning for many years now. I have a Gourma. I bought it on Amazon and it has great timer, and heat control. I also purchased the sheets that I could fit to each shelf so things don't go through the slats. Some things don't need the sheets, like bananas, lemons, etc but things like mint that will fall apart I put on the sheets so if they crumble I don't have all sorts of little crumbs all over the place. the sheets are great for making fruit leathers too. Dehydrating can mbe a lot of fun. I hope your pantry grows like mine has.
    Old 05-11-2020, 06:13 AM

You can dry your herbs in the microwave on paper towels just have to watch it carefully. I've done basil in the past and keep it in a plastic bag whole until I'm ready to use it, then I crush it. I have a dehydrator still in the box but bought it to do tomatoes. Someday I might even try it but until then it stays in the box. Found other uses for my extra tomatoes......tomatoe soup canned.
    Old 05-11-2020, 06:20 AM

The easiest way is what Ice Blossom suggested...just tie them up and hang. You can even lay them out on a baking rack instead of tying. I have some chamomile drying this way right now. It helps to turn the branches over every day for even drying.

My dear DH made me a huge, solar drying cabinet a few years ago. It works great, but it's big and sits out by the garden. I use it for drying large crops of tomatoes. You might look on Mother Earth News' website to see if they have some plans. I also have Dehydro electric dehydrator for smaller jobs. It was cheap and works just fine for small items.

Happy gardening!

~ C