Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Football party munchies for chemo patient?? >

Football party munchies for chemo patient??

Football party munchies for chemo patient??

Old 01-10-2015, 05:26 PM

Default Football party munchies for chemo patient??

My husband's good friend is undergoing chemo for lymphoma....they will be watching the national championship game together Monday night. I want to send along some munchies....he is not allowed to eat raw fruits, veggies or lunch eats. And I think I should avoid a "dip"...individual servings would probably be more appropriate as his white count is low, and risk of infections is high. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Old 01-10-2015, 05:39 PM

I'd probably go with some chips or some cooked apps. Depending on budget...cooked/steamed shrimp? Cookies. Cheese/crackers. Perhaps use some food service gloves while cooking/prepping and put the friend's servings in baggies just to be extra careful??
Old 01-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

How about pizza sticks or bread sticks?
Old 01-11-2015, 05:48 AM

I will check with his wife today....I think seafood is off the list, too. Pizza sticks....now that sounds interesting! Off to google! Thanks ladies!
Old 01-11-2015, 10:06 AM

I'm a former cancer patient, yes, individual servings, ask him or his wife what he can eat and what he likes. Chemo changes our tastebuds. Mouth can get thrush, so probably no food high in acid.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
My husband's good friend is undergoing chemo for lymphoma....they will be watching the national championship game together Monday night. I want to send along some munchies....he is not allowed to eat raw fruits, veggies or lunch eats. And I think I should avoid a "dip"...individual servings would probably be more appropriate as his white count is low, and risk of infections is high. Any suggestions? Thank you!
My husband had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and did his chemo from August to December 23, 2005. He could eat anything including a drink every now and again (wine). My husband went into NHL without a spleen (Hairy Cell Leukemia 20 years previous) and after his chemo he had a shot for the White count and 24 hours later he had a shot for the red count. Your best bet would be to check with his doctor, or the Infusion department where he gets his chemo. The nurses there are fantastic and will help at anything. I realize that there are many different kinds of NHL (acute, chronic) whatever. He ate salads and that is raw veggies, fresh fruit. Maybe pulled pork bbq sandwiches on hamburger buns and baked beans and roasted potatoes. would be a nice change. Just tell him the minute he feels a tingle in his hands or feet to let the dr. know. One of the chemos is Vincristine and that causes Peripheral Neuropathy. My husband told the doctor after he had his last chemo and he ended up with numbness of his feet clear up to his knees. They could do nothing. That was worse than the Leukemia, NHL and chemo put together - my husband didn't have any ill effects from the chemo except for that. You are a good lady to do what you are going to do for your husband's friend.
God Bless You. Edie
Old 01-13-2015, 04:54 PM

Chemo changes the sense of taste- sometimes permanently. There are many dips that can be made with yogurt, and even mini yogurt cheesecakes. If he has stomach sensitivity I'd avoid spicy and greasy foods. Grilled lean meats on skewers? Baked stuffed mini potatoes?