Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Garden Leaf lettuce ...help >

Garden Leaf lettuce ...help

Garden Leaf lettuce ...help

Old 06-05-2012, 06:45 AM

I wilt it with out the bacon grease. I heat up the vinegar, sugar... and put in a few bacon bits just enough to get a little flavor. This works good without all of the grease.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:20 AM

I use our 3 kinds of leaf lettuce along with our iceberg lettuce to make a general green salad. I cut everything into small pieces, add mushrooms, carrots, celery, red onion. I cut tomatoes and cucumbers and put in separate dishes. Then, put your finely chopped salad into a bowl, add a dressing of choice and then add the tomatoes and cucumbers. Delicious and very easy to eat.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:16 AM

The one we always do is: garden lettuce, sliced cucumbers, chives, and sourcream.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:40 PM

I use my garden lettuce to make a 'normal' salad - lettuce, carrots, celery, radishes, red onion, etc. Then put any kind of dressing you like - italian, french, ranch, etc. DH and I have found that we enjoy salads lately with just olive oil and fresh lemon juice - simple and healthy, without all the additives in the prepared salad dressings.

This is the type of salad we had when I was growing up. I never had a 'wilted' salad, except if I ordered a spinach salad in a restaurant. DH's cousin asked me recently how I used my garden lettuce. I thought that was a strange question and told her I just used it in a 'regular' salad. She said her mom only fixed garden lettuce with a wilted dressing! Maybe it's a midwest thing? (I grew up on the east coast).

Interesting how we all have differing habits and ways of doing things.......
Old 06-05-2012, 02:39 PM

Oh, just enjoy it the way you like it. It is a seasonal dish and isn't something you will eat for very long. My mouth is watering!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:07 PM

With fresh fruits and vegetables available the year around at your local market, leaf lettuce isn't really seasonal anymore. Maybe homegrown is seasonal.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:31 AM

Gma of 8, I tried the buttermilk and bacon last night for dinner--it wa SO good. I saved a little of the dressing and reheated it in the microwave and had another bowl before I went to bed!
Lyd
Old 06-06-2012, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
My grandmother used this recipe for leaf lettuce salad. Take a small can of Carnation condensed milk, add 1 tablespoon of sugar, enough white vinegar - add slowly and stir- to make the milk curdle. Too much or too little vinegar and it will not work, and it isn't instant. The milk will become very smooth and thick and tangy/sweet. Pour over lettuce which has been torn and twisted into bite sized pieces. Very different, very good.
Is that condensed milk, the one full of sugar and a light caramel color, or is it the evaporated milk, no sugar, just thickened milk?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by MdmSew'n'Sew View Post
Is that condensed milk, the one full of sugar and a light caramel color, or is it the evaporated milk, no sugar, just thickened milk?
Oh. I am so sorry. That is evaporated milk. Can't imagine how awful it would be with condensed milk! Oh my bad!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:49 PM

We have always had our garden lettuce with fried crumbled bacon, and a dressing of half and half, sugar and cider vinegar (usually made with 2cups 1/2&1/2 and 1/4 cup each sugar and vinegar) and we eat ours on mashed potato with more crumbled bacon. It's an awesome seasonal meal - left over salad will not keep with dressing on it - it gets too mushy.