Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
German Christmas Star Cookies >

German Christmas Star Cookies

German Christmas Star Cookies

Old 11-12-2010, 06:39 AM

Does anyone happen to know the recipe for these cookies? They are a firmer spice cookie with white hard frosting which is not real sweet. Would love to find this recipe. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:38 AM

Zimtsterne? if so here is a link.
http://germanfood.about.com/od/bakin...sterne_sbs.htm hope this is it. :)
Old 11-13-2010, 03:10 AM

Are you talking about Pfefferneusse? It is a German cookie with hard white icing, soft cookie. Very popular in Germany during the Christmas season. I used to buy it years ago whenever I went to Germany, and my dd found the recipe that we have been using for years. Send me a note and I will send you the recipe. Teri
Old 11-13-2010, 03:11 AM

Are you talking about Pfefferneusse? It is a German cookie with hard white icing, soft cookie. Very popular in Germany during the Christmas season. I used to buy it years ago whenever I went to Germany, and my dd found the recipe that we have been using for years. Send me a note and I will send you the recipe. Teri
Old 11-13-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by magpie
Zimtsterne? if so here is a link.
http://germanfood.about.com/od/bakin...sterne_sbs.htm hope this is it. :)

Yes, this is it! Thank you so very much for finding it for me. I am going to be in a cast for 12 weeks (foot) and wanted to have several batches of these made before my surgery for my family to enjoy.

Again, many thanks to you Magpie! :D :D :D
Old 11-13-2010, 08:06 AM

Yes go to COOKS.COM they have it all. Kathleen Phegley in ILL
Old 11-14-2010, 09:12 AM

I found a cinnamon star cookie in my German cook book.
3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2-3cups unblanched almonds ground
1 TBS rosewater
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 400. Grease baking sheets. In a large bowl beatg egg whites to stiff peaks. Cont to beat and slowly add sugar. Remove 5 TBS of eggwhite/sugar mixture and set aside. Fold cinnamon, 2 cups almonds and rosewater into remaining meringue mixture. Cont adding almonds until mixture keeps sits shape and is firm enough to handle. Lightly sprinkle powdered sugar over work surface. Roll out dough to 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Using a star shape cutter cut dough. Place on greased sheets. Spread cookies with a think coating of the reserved meringue mixture. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly colored. Remove from sheets to cooling racks. 24 cookies

NOTE:

Becareful not to use too much ground almonds or more than a light coating of powdered sugar on the work surface or bake the cookies at too high of a temperature. Any of these factors can make them hard rather than crisp and melting. If they become hard, store in a tightly sealed container with a lemon or apple wedge.

My step-mom was German and every Christmas she baked cookies like I never saw before. If you want other recipes, let me know and I will pull out her recipes. I loved them all. I must admit though that my favorite is the darn peanut blossom with the hershey kiss in it!!!
Old 11-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Yummmm. We love these cookies! They are also available at World Market. I know, they're store bought, but...
Old 11-22-2010, 02:54 AM

Where do you find rosewater? I'm not familiar with seeing this in American supermarkets.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

Funny you said people could just google and find things themself on Don/isewman thread, why didn't you goggle the cookies you wanted???????? Just wondering I am not trying to be rude.