Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Getting Boiled eggs to Peel >

Getting Boiled eggs to Peel

Getting Boiled eggs to Peel

Old 12-06-2014, 07:26 AM

I do the same as Stichnripper does and I never have a problem with peeling the eggs ,,,Hopefully you'll get the hang of this you can do it
Old 12-06-2014, 12:59 PM

For years I have put a hole on one end with a fairly large needle and then boil as normal. When done put into cold water immediately and crack the shells. I never have a problem peeling them.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:38 AM

I simply peel them while they are hot under cold water start at the bottom works every single time. a few crack cracks on the kitchen sink and instant presto peel. nothing fancy. cook in salted water your favorite way just peel them hot and put them in a plastic bag to store or tupperwear container and you have them when you want them
Old 12-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Banned

My hubs read to buy the eggs about 1-2 weeks BEFORE you plan
to hard boil them. They will peel easier.

So I gave this a try and it WORKED. I also use my "LUX" egg timer
so now I don't get that ugly greenish ring around the yolks.

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
the fresher the eggs the harder to peel also.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:11 PM
mac

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
the fresher the eggs the harder to peel also.
This is so true! You want to use the eggs that have been in your refrigerator for a week, rather than the eggs you just bought from the store. I learned this from my brother, who doesn't even cook, which is why it took me so long to try this method. He was right!

I now do the cool down method everyone else talks about -- 15 mins. to boil, cold water, ice bath. However, I do one more thing to help improve peeling. Once the eggs have cooled all of the way, I put a cover on the pan and shake the eggs in the pan rather vigorously. This cracks the shells and then I put them in the refrigerator for about an hour or less. The peels practically fall off of the eggs.

Before this method I tried one of easy-peel egg contraptions that you put on the end of the faucet. Now that was fun and funny. The first couple of times I tried it, the contraption blew off of the faucet and sprayed me and everything else in my kitchen with water. I should have worn a rain coat and a mask. When I could get it to work it worked great. But mostly I just got a shower. Now I do the method above and I stay dry and the eggs get peeled.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:53 PM

My niece had a egg farm and she said put in a handful salt in water and it works they will peel good really it is like a couple spoonsful.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:43 AM

If these are farm fresh eggs, they are almost impossible to peel. If you let farm fresh eggs age a few days or more, then it is better. The reason store bought eggs are much easier to peel is because they are old eggs with a thinner shell. Farm fresh have a tougher shell . I have 8 chickens who lay daily 6-8 eggs. the ones I keep I store in a small refrigerator so they age a bit. Rest I give to my happy neighbors. After boiling eggs, cover with cold water and let sit until the eggs have cooled down. I actually cover with cold water and store in the water in the refrig over nite. Next morning, I peel the eggs and they come out almost perfect.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:41 AM

This actually works !

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...rd-boiled-egg/
Old 03-11-2015, 10:21 AM

It doesn't work on farm fresh eggs as the shell is too hard and thicker than store bought. I tested it myself.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:33 PM

Sometimes my peel so easy and some times they just take chunks out of them. So, I kinda feel like it has to do with where the egg came from and where it is white or brown. I have heard boil in salt water helps. I've also been told the cool water after boiling. Also, I tap it on the sink and roll it in my hand and it usually just comes right off in one piece.