Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gluten free

Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats
    Blog Entries

Gluten free

I've gone gluten free. Not to be faddish I do have several 1st degree family relatives with true celiac disease and the last 3 years have been having severe stomach issues with no clear diagnosis. So at my Aunts persistent suggestion I said I try eliminating gluten and surprisingly I'm better than I've been in many many months so any one have some "sweet" recipes? I've checked gluten free mixes and they are very expensive. For example a sugar cookie mix is $9.95 at the health food store. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

I, too, have felt better than I have in years. I just troll the Internet and find the recipes that I need. Congratulations on going gluten free. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Power Poster
    ​I do a regular peanut butter cookie recipe but substitute corn flour instead of wheat flour. Corn flour is a little grainier but it still makes tasty peanut butter cookies.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recip...0000000058813/

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/health...free/desserts/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysande...valentines-day

here are some links...
    when i have a real bad sweet tooth i just dig a spoon in (Lemon) frosting .. lol..

I get a lot of supplies from Amazon, the prices seem cheaper. (I am handicapped and do a lot of order from the internet anyway) Best wishes on you new endeavor to being healthier, and different. I went gf because of complications from wheat, but I feel so much better
    Jo

Be cautious about "gluten free" foods, they can be very high in carbohydrates as they are typically made with corn starch, tapioca starch, potato starch which are all high on the glycemic index. Check out Wheat Belly Blog and Gourmet Girl for recipes. I gave up wheat about 1 1/2 yrs ago and feel much better because of it.

I was diagnosed with celiac about 10 years ago and have found the most economical cookies to make are the ones that are naturally gluten free. I make peanut butter cookies and chocolate cookies without flour and no bake cookies with gluten free oats.
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

Blog Entries
    A good friend of mine has celiac disease, and says restaurants are not exactly forthcoming when it comes to telling the truth about whether their food is actually completely gluten free.
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats
    Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness thank you to all for the links and tips! I had not thought about the raising of the glycemic index and I do need to watch that also. Oy if it's not one thing it's another! I checked out the links luvtoquilt and they have some tasty looking ideas. So I bookmarked them. Hadn't thought much about restaurants either. I just try to order very plain. I'll be careful. Many thanks to each of you and if I'm desperate I'll try the frosting! After I check the carbs! Raine

Blog Entries
    It was much easier than I thought it would be too!

I haven't done the gluten free thing but I did switch to the 'no flour/no sugar' diet a number of years ago as a weight reduction measure. Worked great btw. Dr. Peter Gott - who developed the 'diet' has several books including cookbooks for this. Might be of help as well.

Here you go, they have lots of recipes in here.

http://www.faveglutenfreerecipes.com...enfree20140122
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

I was diagnosed with celiac almost 9 nears ago. I have tried various flour mixes and I happened across this one that I have had wonderful success with. I buy flours in bulk and make my own mix then and keep it in the cabinet. This mix made wonderful pumpkin cookies (best I have ever eaten) and wonderful date pinwheel cookies with a recipe that I have made for over 40 years. It takes 4 cups sorghum flour; 2 2/3 cup tapioca flour; 2 2/3 cups potato starch; 1 cup fava & garbanzo flour. Mix it all together and store. When using it in a recipe, use 1 tsp xantham gum or guar gum, 1 tsp per cup of flour used. Then you double the leavening agent & usually cook 10 minutes longer. This mix will give the brown appearance more common to wheat flour. Some flours like rice are very difficult to brown without becoming so hard you can use them as weapons. I just use one cup of this flour and substitute cup for cup for the regular flour.

Good luck. It can be done and I wouldn't eat gluten now for anything. My health is so much better and I no longer have headaches and constant stomach pain.There is some residual damage but I can live with that.

Blog Entries

Gluten free recipes

[QUOTE=Raine54RN;6529086]I've gone gluten free. Not to be faddish I do have several 1st degree

I have 2 that I use all the time when I want something sweet. My favorite is the cookie.
    1/2 c honey
    1/2 c cocoa
    1/4 c coconut oil
    1/2 c creamy p-nut butter
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 c sunflower seeds
    1 and 1/4 c chopped dry roasted p-nuts. (I put them in plastic bag and roll with rolling pin)

Line cookie sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper
    Over med heat melt honey, cocoa and coconut oil. bring to boil and cook 1 minute
    Remove from heat, stir in p-nut butter and salt until smooth. Add sunflower seeds and p-nuts stir well, drop by spoonfuls on wax paper and refrigerate for one hour. Store in container in frig. Enjpy

Blog Entries
    Brownies
    1/2 c honey, 1/3 c cocoa, 1/2 c coconut flour, 1/4 tsp baking pwd, 1/4 tsp soda, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 c unsweetened apple sauce, 2 tbs olive oil, 2 large eggs room temp. ( I use 3), 3/4 tsp vanilla.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8" pan. Blend honey and cocoa, combine with rest of ingredients, bake 25 min and cool on rack. Good with whipped cream or ice cream.

Just google gluten free recepie and see what comes up.

Blog Entries
    Do you like almond flavor? IMHO, these are the best cookies on the planet! http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...cookies-recipe By the way, I don't use the bitter almond if I don't have it and they turn out just fine. You'll find some other yummy GF recipes on this site as well.
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    Try food gawker and pinterest.Thet seem to really have a lot of gluten free recipes

I use crushed Rice Chex in place of bread crumbs. Also found that shopping for rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca flour in an Asian grocery is much more economical than in a regular or health foods store. Betty Hagman has a series of recipe books - a pioneer in gluten free cooking. She has a recipe for gluten free "flour" that contain all three of the above-mentioned ingredients. Sadly she is no longer alive.

My son has adopted gluten-free and based on his experience I am preparing to join him. Recently when he joined us for celebration dinner I made a flourless chocolate cake that was divine. I found the recipe online at http://allrecipes.com/recipe/flourle...olate-cake-ii/

check out www.livingwithout.com They send you recipes every week. Also, Betty Crocker puts out cake, cookie, & brownie mixes. You can get them at any grocery store. You can also go to nuts galore site & there is a place there you can get most all gluten free products (bread flour, all purpose flour etc.) a lot cheaper than at the store. My DH & #3 daughter has celiac & all our foods are gluten free. Another thing. Most of your gluten free flours you will want to keep in the frig or freezer as they can go rancid quickly.
    Last edited by Halo; 01-23-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by judy5cents View Post
    Be cautious about "gluten free" foods, they can be very high in carbohydrates as they are typically made with corn starch, tapioca starch, potato starch which are all high on the glycemic index. Check out Wheat Belly Blog and Gourmet Girl for recipes. I gave up wheat about 1 1/2 yrs ago and feel much better because of it.
    Check out: marianutrition.com/Bio.html-
    Maria has 7 books published with hundreds of recipes for gluten-free, sugar-free, delicious food. She doesn't use artificial sugar. She uses Truvia and Stevia and some other things. My daughter was having menstral cramps, and since she has been using Maria's recipes, they are gone. At camping last summer, she ate some things she knew were not on the GOOD list. Big mistake.

I have lost 30 pounds doing some of her things for about 2 years; not religiously, just most of the time. I wasn't even thinking about losing weight, but was surprised when I stepped on the scale at the doctor's office. (I was wondering why my slacks were getting too big for me. On to St. Vinney's for a whole new wardrobe!)

Her email is: [email protected]
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I make peanut butter cookies. The recipe is just one cup sugar, one cup chunky PB and one egg. But I substitute 1/2 splenda and a small amount of honey or agave and add chopped peanuts. I think it bakes at 350 for about 10 minutes. I sometimes add some vanilla extract.

I make home made Reese's Cups using dark chocolate chips (much better for you than milk chocolate) and homemade or natural PB (not so much sugar). After you've baked something else just put them in the warm oven till the chips melt and take out and spread the chocolate. Keep refrigerated.
    Layer chips in the bottom of a mini-cupcake paper, then fill about 3/4 with PB, (just drop it off the spoon and push down a little with your finger) then some more chips on top.

I make my own Almond Joy/Mounds mix the same way. Use the chips the same but put unsweetened coconut mixed with a little coconut milk or cream with a little honey on top of an almond in the middle.

btw I make my own PB too. Just grind whole roasted peanuts -- I sometimes add a spoon of honey and some grapeseed oil to the container to make it more like jar PB, then stir in some chopped roasted nuts to make it chunky.

Gluten free mixes and recipes usually ARE really full of simple carbs so it's best to learn to make your own, or adapt the recipes you find.
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    I cannot vouch for the non gluten recipes at this site but the "regular" recipes I've tried are quite good. Mennonitegirlscancook.ca. The photos look yummy.

Note: I had to edit to change the dot com to dot ca since these women are Canadian.
    Last edited by Novice.for.now; 01-24-2014 at 01:30 PM.
    Novie
    Working my way through life, one block at a time.

WalMart sells "sweet deserts" and cake mixes that are gluten free. Also check out Quinoa Flour and seeds. No Gluten.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast