Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Healthy Budget Recipes >

Healthy Budget Recipes

Healthy Budget Recipes

Old 09-19-2021, 12:58 PM

“The Everlasting Meal” by Tamar Adler is worthwhile. She makes groceries stretch and prepares nutritious meals from what many people discard. It should be required reading for all people going out on their own !!
Old 09-19-2021, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

If anyone uses Facebook, there is a site on the Watch part called "cooking with Brenda Gantt". she is from andalusia, Alabama, and cooks very basic meals that can feed a lot of people. She is careful with the budget at least on most of her videos.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:35 PM

I'm going to pass on the tuna sandwich recipe, lol. The breadcrumbs to extend wouldn't be completely awful - but the cod oil... Yeah, that's a hard pass from me. I guess it would have added fish flavor to the breadcrumbs? And has health benefits?

Instead of all kinds of fresh fruits and vegetables, regardless of season, we may have to resort to more canned fruits and frozen vegetables. Apples are always plentiful in this area, one of the larger apple growing regions and they keep well. Bananas. But the year round grapes, melons, that kind of thing - might become out of reach of most.

Eggs, for those that can have them, are a good source of protein and although they've gone up (what hasn't), are still inexpensive.

I made this yesterday - still trying to use up the darned zucchini - and we really liked it. Enough that I am now considering freezing grated zucchini for the first time in years. I did not add any salt, I felt with the bacon and cheese, there was enough. Will definitely make again and add other vegetables on hand. I did not use any olive oil - the bacon has enough oil as it cooks w/ the onion to make it unnecessary, and I didn't put the other tbsp. in the batter, either. Again - cheese, bacon, eggs - I didn't think it needed any other fat.
https://www.cookitrealgood.com/bacon-vegetable-slice/