Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Herbal Remedies and Recipes >
  • Herbal Remedies and Recipes

• Herbal Remedies and Recipes

Old 05-18-2021, 07:34 AM

Default Herbal Remedies and Recipes

Rosemary Gladstar is a huge figure in the world of herbalism. She's like the "Martha Stewart" of growing beneficial herbs and creating useful products from them. She has written a couple of fabulous, recipe books: Rosemary Gladstar's Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner's Guide and Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health. I'm sure that some of you have her books, or have used her recipes for making anything from healing tinctures, to the best face cream ever.

I thought that some of you would like to know about Rosemary Gladstar's upcoming, online event about how she formulated some of her famous recipes. The event takes place this Thursday and Friday, May 20-21.

https://learningherbs.com/webinars/r...es%3A+May+2021
    Old 05-18-2021, 08:06 AM

Oh...I forgot to mention that the Gladstar Webinar is free! I'm signed up for this Thursday.
    Old 05-19-2021, 03:59 AM

Share what you can. I have lousy internet access.
    Old 05-19-2021, 05:50 AM

Thank you. I'm going to check in and see what she has to say. You may have found her a new student. Thank you, Tropit.
    Old 05-20-2021, 06:09 AM
    Power Poster

I have her books, tropit! Thank you!!!
    Old 05-20-2021, 09:09 AM

For those of you interested...today's webinar just started. Easy to watch. No fancy logins, or anything like that.
    Old 05-20-2021, 10:14 AM

I have several books on herbs and their uses. I find it fascinating. Years ago, when I had a lavender patch, I made lavender wands to place in linen cabinets, drawers etc. You pick an odd number of lavender sprigs, gather them together, place a ribbon just below the heads, knot it, then bend the stems back over the flower heads and weave a "basket" over the heads with the ribbon, when done, tie a pretty little bow with the remaining ribbon and let dry. I also learned that it was best to cross check any recipe with other books as sometimes one book would recommend a particular herb for one thing and then another book would describe the same plant as poisonous. Harvesting herbs for ingestion can be tricky as the potency of the active ingredient depends a lot on the growing conditions and the point at which you harvest the herb as well as how you handle and store the plant after picking.
    Old 05-20-2021, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup
    I have several books on herbs and their uses. I find it fascinating. Years ago, when I had a lavender patch, I made lavender wands to place in linen cabinets, drawers etc. You pick an odd number of lavender sprigs, gather them together, place a ribbon just below the heads, knot it, then bend the stems back over the flower heads and weave a "basket" over the heads with the ribbon, when done, tie a pretty little bow with the remaining ribbon and let dry. I also learned that it was best to cross check any recipe with other books as sometimes one book would recommend a particular herb for one thing and then another book would describe the same plant as poisonous. Harvesting herbs for ingestion can be tricky as the potency of the active ingredient depends a lot on the growing conditions and the point at which you harvest the herb as well as how you handle and store the plant after picking.
    They are so pretty too! They make wonderful, little gifts for a housewarming, or just because.

I just got done watching the webinar. It's offered several times/ day, today and tomorrow, if you still want to watch it.

Yes, Rosemary also mentioned, several times, that it's good to look at 3 different books before you commit to using an herb, for the very reasons that you state.

John Gallagher, of Learning Herbs, put this webinar on and also added a group of Ms. Gladstar's most famous recipes on there for you to download. Of course, at the end, he gives a plug for his HerbMentor membership club. (I'm a member, but I'm not trying to promote this in any way. There's no obligation to join.)

These people are originally from our Northern California area, so I find that their information is not only useful, but their stories about the past are really interesting. Sonoma and Mendocino counties are well known for the hippy movements of the late 60s and 70s and there is a lore that still exists here, even though we are well into the 21st century.