Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Here's My Rugelach Recipe >

Here's My Rugelach Recipe

Here's My Rugelach Recipe

Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 PM

I'm including both Version I and Version II. Version II works great at keeping the filling from spilling out while baking and eliminating that dried hard fruit filling on the bottom. I like #1 for the simplicity and #2 is the best tasting. In Version I, I added the mini chips and raisins after seeing the TV program making them behind the scenes at this restaurant where they are so popular. Version I I would do like they did and cut them in rectangles instead of wedges. Know you will absolutely LOVE this Jewish Hanukkah tradition. Enjoy!! I'm so happy I found my recipe today. Someone requested I post it. I know Version I has to be great or I wouldn't have copied it off. Not sure of the source on that recipe.

Rugelach I

8 oz. butter
8 oz. cream cheese
2 c. flour
1-1/2 c. brown sugar
1-1/2 c. chopped walnuts
2 TBSP. cinnamon
*1/2 c. mini chocolate chips and/or 1/2 c. raisins (optional)

1) Soften butter and cream cheese. Mix together, then add flour. Separate into 2 balls, wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 2 days.
2) Filling:
Mix nuts, cinnamon and sugar together. Remove dough from refrigerator and roll one ball into a 9-inch circle (about the size of a pizza). Spread 1/2 of nut mixture on top and cut into 16 pieces. Roll each piece up in wedges and place on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake @ 350 for 20 min.

Rugelach II

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins

Directions
Cut cold butter or margarine and cream cheese into bits. In food processor pulse flour, salt, butter or margarine, cream cheese and sour cream until crumbly.
Shape crumbly mixture into four equal disks. Wrap each disk and chill 2 hours or up to 2 days.
Roll each disk into a 9-inch round, keeping other disks chilled until ready to roll them.
Combine sugar, cinnamon, chopped walnuts, and finely chopped raisins (may substitute miniature chocolate chips for raisins).
Roll each disk into a 9 inch round keeping other disks chilled until ready to roll them. Sprinkle round with sugar/nut mixture. Press lightly into dough. With chefs knife or pizza cutter, cut each round into 12 wedges. Roll wedges from wide to narrow, you will end up with point on outside of cookie. Place on ungreased baking sheets and chill rugelach 20 minutes before baking.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
After rugelach are chilled, bake them in the center rack of your oven 22 minutes until lightly golden. Cool on wire racks. Store in airtight containers...they freeze very well.
Variations: Before putting the filling on the dough, use a pastry brush to layer apricot jam as well as brown sugar. Then add the recommended filling. You may also make a mixture of cinnamon and sugar and roll the rugelach in this prior to putting them on the cookie sheets.

p.s. The secret to this flaky pastry in keeping the filling from baking out on the cookie sheet is pressing the filling into the dough. Have the raisins and chips on the outside edge so it's easy to roll them in wedges grabbing those chips and keeping that filling in!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

Thank you :D:D:D
Old 11-29-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Thank you :D:D:D
Your welcome, amma!! :D :D
Old 11-29-2010, 05:08 PM

OH!! I just LOVE rugelach !!!
Thats for sharing with us................
Old 11-29-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by luv-e
OH!! I just LOVE rugelach !!!
Thats for sharing with us................
Your welcome, luv-e!!!

:D :D :D
Old 11-29-2010, 08:01 PM
pal

Thank you so much, n2scraplvr, both recipes look wonderful.

I will try them both!!!! Many years ago I bought myself
1/4lb of rugelach for my birthday and hid it in a closet to have after the family left. Out comes my brother, box in hand, saying that this was the best thing he ever had. Of course it was my 1/4lb of rugelach/.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by pal

1/4lb of rugelach for my birthday and hid it in a closet to have after the family left. Out comes my brother, box in hand, saying that this was the best thing he ever had. Of course it was my 1/4lb of rugelach/.
Your welcome, pal!! It could be the sour cream in the second one that gives it that outstanding taste. Anyway, your brother sure knew a good thing when he found that box! They are the best cookie ever in the whole world! You can find them sold on every corner in Israel today. They make a chocolate version and the Americans have a chocolate version too but the chocolate process is different from how the Israelis make theirs. BTW, a 2 lb. box sells for $40, but in NY that would probably be $70 so it's much cheaper to make it yourself and it's an easy recipe!! Hope you enjoy your wonderful cookies and make them when you're all alone so you can have the whole 9 yards!!!

:D :D ;) :thumbup:
Old 11-29-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by pal

Your welcome, pal!! I think the sour cream in the second one gives it that outstanding taste. Anyway, your brother sure knew a good thing when he found that box! They are the best cookie ever in the whole world! You can find them sold on every corner in Israel today. They make a chocolate version and the Americans have a chocolate version too but the chocolate process is different from how the Israelis make theirs. BTW, a 2 lb. box sells for $40, but in NY that would probably be $70 so it's much cheaper to make it yourself and it's an easy recipe!! Hope you enjoy your wonderful cookies and make them when you're all alone so you can have the whole 9 yards!!!

:D :D ;) :thumbup:

p.s. I just happened to think of something important for the crust. If you want a really nice soft flaky crust, substitute the sugar in version 2 with confectioner's sugar!! You will totally love it!! :D
Old 11-29-2010, 08:34 PM
pal

o.k. I'll use the confectioner's sugar.

Someone told me recently to use confectioner's sugar when making whipped cream rather than regular granulated sugar.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by pal
o.k. I'll use the confectioner's sugar.

Someone told me recently to use confectioner's sugar when making whipped cream rather than regular granulated sugar.
Oh, thanks for that. I'll try that too!

:D :D :thumbup: