Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Homemade Crackers >

Homemade Crackers

Homemade Crackers

Old 02-25-2024, 07:05 AM

Default Homemade Crackers

Have you ever made your own crackers? I have tried it a few times in the past with good-fair results. Crackers are normally so cheap (when on sale) that it doesn't seem like it's worth the effort. However, it's not the price of the crackers that is high, it's the time and gas to get to the grocery store that makes it worth making my own. I found a lot of good tips about making crackers on the King Arthur site: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blo...emade-crackers

I'm going to try to make some today. Got any recipes?
Old 02-25-2024, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Never heard of making your own crackers. Leave it to you!
I always liked Zesta saltines but they're hard to find these days. My husband found them. The box said "Original" but there was no salt on the top. They used to say Unsalted but not anymore. I really liked the salt on them. Oh well.........
Old 02-25-2024, 09:21 AM

I like these. https://healthyflax.org/recipes/flaxseed-crackers
Old 02-25-2024, 11:23 AM

I like homemade Cheez-Its made from nothing but cheddar cheese. I get the thin sliced cheddar slices, cut them into quarter slices, bake on parchment at 250° F for about 35-45 minutes, then cool. They're crunchy and taste exactly like Cheez-Its. My diabetic hubby can eat as many as he wants.
Old 02-25-2024, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Speaking of saltines but slightly off topic- I just researched why Zesta weren't as good as they used to be. Kellogg bought them and they aren't the same as when Keebler made them. The reviews are mostly bad as well. I'm not the only one who doesn't like the recipe change.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:18 PM

Our local grows have a market every Saturday most of the year. One gal made the best crackers! I don't even think they had any flour in them, just seeds and crasins and I don't know what else. They were so good, and expensive. I get some good & gather crackers from Target called "everything crackers" and "Cranberry Pumpkin Seed Cracker Crisp" The Pumpkin seed one are very good, a bit pricey, but so good.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:45 AM

I miss the Stoned Wheat Thins in a blue and red box made in Canada. Apparently, the company went out of business during the pandemic. I haven't found a good substitute yet.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:56 AM

I did a couple of times as it is a common way to use excess sourdough starter. They were okay, but not great, which was disappointing. Usually, things that are home made are so much better - and I expected crackers to be as well. Then, I stopped making excess starter, so no discard, and no need to find ways to use it up. I'm not crackers anymore.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:04 AM

I tend to stay away from crackers, breads for the carbs bit but I do like to add my seasoned crackers to my homemade soups. These are made using oyster crackers which I stock up when they're on sale, seasonings you mostly have in your cupboard, oil, a package of Ranch Dressing mix (dry). It takes 2 bags of crackers for this recipe so it lasta awhile for me as I live alone. Also, this recipe you bake so you can store it in a cupboard. The old recipe wasn't baked so you had to keep them in the fridge so they wouldn't go rancid on you.

Otherwise, I just don't eat crackers.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:12 AM

Snooze - I like the idea of the oyster crackers and the baked method. Can you post this recipe?