Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Homemade Laundry Soap >

Homemade Laundry Soap

Homemade Laundry Soap

Old 09-26-2010, 01:22 PM

Is washing soda the same as baking soda? If not where can you find it?
Old 09-26-2010, 01:50 PM

No it is not the same. Washing soda is a detergent booster laundry cleaner. Mine is made by Arm and Hammer and I found it in the laundry section at the grocery store. I found all the ingredients in the laundry section.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:56 PM

Borax is mined near Death Valley National Park. It is very alkaline. It is a very effective deodorizer and cleaning agent.

Fels Naptha has been around for a very long time! Just try a different store if you don't find it in one. Grocery stores or variety/drug stores may have it.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:24 PM

very interesting, I am gonna try this. :)
Old 09-28-2010, 02:36 AM

I came up with a dry version of this soap about a year ago. It works very well. :)

I use:

1 - Bar of VERY FINELY grated Fels Naptha Soap
2 - Cups Borax
2 - Cups Washing Soda

Mix together. Use 1 tablespoon for regular loads, or 2 tablespoons for heavily soiled loads.

I have to order the washing soda and Fels Naptha soap online, but even with shipping, it's still cheaper than buying ready-made soap at the store. And sometimes it's possible to get free shipping if you check around.

Also, I've substituted Octagon soap or Ivory soap instead of the Fels Naptha, and they worked just fine.

I also have a method for stretching my liquid fabric softener. A bottle lasts at least a year. I get an empty spray bottle, and put 2 parts of hot water and 1 part of fabric softener. Shake well. When I'm ready to dry a load of clothes, I just spray 10-12 sprays into the dryer, and dry the clothes as normal. Works just fine! :)
Old 09-30-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by moonrise
I came up with a dry version of this soap about a year ago. It works very well. :)

I use:

1 - Bar of VERY FINELY grated Fels Naptha Soap
2 - Cups Borax
2 - Cups Washing Soda

Mix together. Use 1 tablespoon for regular loads, or 2 tablespoons for heavily soiled loads.

I'll have to try the dry mixture and your way of using the fabric softner.

I have to order the washing soda and Fels Naptha soap online, but even with shipping, it's still cheaper than buying ready-made soap at the store. And sometimes it's possible to get free shipping if you check around.

Also, I've substituted Octagon soap or Ivory soap instead of the Fels Naptha, and they worked just fine.

I also have a method for stretching my liquid fabric softener. A bottle lasts at least a year. I get an empty spray bottle, and put 2 parts of hot water and 1 part of fabric softener. Shake well. When I'm ready to dry a load of clothes, I just spray 10-12 sprays into the dryer, and dry the clothes as normal. Works just fine! :)
Old 10-03-2010, 09:55 AM

~
\__/
Old 01-31-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Alondra
Thanks for this recipe. I'm going to try it. I've made lye soap before and really love it, but it's sort of hard to make, and sort of dangerous, if you spill or splash any of the lye on you. This sounds great, though.
I used to make my own soap also because of fragrance allergies that my grand daughter had. My son casually commented that I could be raided for having all the ingredients for a meth lab. I told him that didn't bother me nearly as much as that he knew what the ingredients for meth were! I think I will try this one. Saves all the caustic ingredients.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by shortstuff
Is washing soda the same as baking soda? If not where can you find it?
I've had problems finding washing soda, but recently found it on the top shelf of a Kroger grocery store. It is in a yellow & white Arm & Hammer box, but is shaped more like a Cascade box than a laundry detergent box.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:32 AM

Where can you buy Fels Naptha soap???? I have not seen it in years. CT newbie