6 Large Garlic Cloves - Put a clove in each jar
4 1/2 Cups Water
4 1/2 Cups White distilled 5% Vinegar
6 small Hot Red peppers -optional
6 Jalapeno Peppers - optional -Make slice in side of pepper
1/2 Cup CANNING salt
3 Tsp. Dill SEEED
1 Bay Leaf for Each jar

Wash jars and keep them hot. Wash asparagus and trim the stem to make them the size that will fit in the jar with 1/2 inch headspace.

Peel and wash garlic and place one clove in the bottom of each jar and place 1 bay leaf in each jar.

BRINE:
In large sauce pan bring the water, salt, vinegar, Dill SEED and peppers to boiling. I make a slice in the side of the Jalapeno peppers so the bring can leach out the heat from the pepper. Put one Jalapeno and 1 Red pepper in each jar if you want hot pickles, then tightly pack the asparagus in the jars and pour the boiling brine over top to 1/2 inch from top of jar. Use butter knife to insert along the edge of the jar and asparagus to release any air then add more brine if needed. Afix a hot flat canning lid and ring to the jar AFTER YOU WIPE the top of the jar to remove anything that might prevent the flat from sealing. Process 10 minutes in a BOILING WATER bath canner. Remove the jars from the canner and place on a towel lined counter to cool. Don't mess with the jars until they are completely cool. The next day remove the ring from the jar and wash both the lid and the jar before storing in your cupboard. By washing the ring you'll get the vinegar off the lid so it doesn't rust. After your rings are dry and the jars are washed put the rings back on the jar or leave them off. whichever you prefer. Make sure to label your jars with contents and date you made them.

Enjoy! These are a family favorite. We like the hot but I always make jars without the peppers for the "whoosies" in our family who don't like the heat of hot peppers.

This is a batch of pickles I made yesterday and DH just got home with 2 more gallons of vinegar so I'm on my way to the kitchen to make up another 25 pounds of asparagus waiting to be worked.

Asparagus Pickles-Hot or ???
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63605[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-63600.jpe  
Old 04-17-2010, 03:26 PM

Oh my goodness! How I'd love to make these. I don't have an asparagus bed anymore. Do you raise your own?
I may check out Publix to see if it's on sale. At least I could make a few jars.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:29 PM

DH and I don't grow anything anymore but we know who does. We went to the farmer in a nearby town who has 178 acres of asparagus. We got 50 pounds for $. 80 a pound. What I cut off the bottom of the pickles that isn't tough I blend in the blendar and make cream of asparagus soup base and freeze it so when we want soup all I have to do is take out some of the frozen puree, add 1/2 n 1/2 and joila, dinner is ready.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:44 PM

I'm so envious of the local produce. Atlanta ships everything from all over and Asparagus sells for $3.48 a lb!
I buy it on sale for $1.98.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:46 AM

Thank you so much for the recipe I have looking for-years.
My 3 sons ate them before I could put them away or sold bottles to the mailman. They have been asking me for the recipe and I could not find it. You would think by the quantities I made, I would remember how to do it by rout

Many many thanks(from sons too)
Old 04-23-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by granniegg
Thank you so much for the recipe I have looking for-years.
My 3 sons ate them before I could put them away or sold bottles to the mailman. They have been asking me for the recipe and I could not find it. You would think by the quantities I made, I would remember how to do it by rout

Many many thanks(from sons too)

Hi Grannie: I'm so glad the recipe was helpful to you. I forgot one thing when I wrote the recipe...AFTER THE PICKLES ARE MADE AND PROCESSED THEY KIND OF GET SHRIVILLED UP A BIT BUT BY THE TIME YOU ARE READY TO EAT THEM - A MONTH OR SO, THEY'LL BE PLUMP JUST LIKE WHEN YOU PROCESSED THEM. Don't know why they shrivil up after the 10 minute canning process but they DO!
I taught a class on how to make the pickles last year and got a call from every student who made them at home and were having 6 fits from Friday because their pickles were shrivilled. Not to worry, they plump up later.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:26 AM

Do you teach in OR or WA? Thats where 2 sons live-both culinary fanatics. Can we see a schedule of your classes?

Thank you again......bought some ingredients this am.

GG
Old 04-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

Oh, YUM! Thank you! Do you know how much a little jar of this in the store costs? Boyfriend just paid 8.00!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Oh, YUM! Thank you! Do you know how much a little jar of this in the store costs? Boyfriend just paid 8.00!!!!!!!!!
Yes, Carrie, our daughter told us how expensive they are. I'd never priced them as I always make them myself. I think the 27 jars I made cost me about $ 1.25 per jar and to make them is easy peasy.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by granniegg
Do you teach in OR or WA? Thats where 2 sons live-both culinary fanatics. Can we see a schedule of your classes?

Thank you again......bought some ingredients this am.

GG
Grannie: I have taught lots of food canning and preserving classes through our Extension Office and our church but that isn't a business for me. It's just something I do if someone asks me to do canning, jelly making, food drying classes. I've done quite a few classes and love to do it. If your kids are ever interested, PM me and I'll contact you when we have a class. I'll be doing some canning for the Master Gardener tour in June/July and I've been asked to do a jam/jelly class at church again but that probably won't happen until about July. Always glad to have a class full of students.